Shutdown, Chinese New Year Lead to PJ Shortage in United Polaris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want a set of pajamas in United Polaris? Well, as the world’s most frequent flyer recently pointed out, you definitely have to ask — and, for now, it might help to pray as well.
As some readers have noted, United’s long-haul business class is currently experiencing a shortage of pajamas. While the airline always adjusts the number onboard based on estimated demand, on some recent flights there haven’t been any at all.
A United spokesperson confirmed the issue, explaining that the problem is partially due to increased port activity related to Chinese New Year, even though the PJs are manufactured in India.
“Due to port congestion which we typically see around Chinese New Year compounded by the recent government shutdown which caused inventory to be held up longer than is standard, our supply of Polaris pajamas has been temporarily impacted on select flights. We anticipate our supply starting to increase this week and being fully restocked next week.”
Pajamas are easily one of the more exciting Polaris offerings, so I’m glad they’re making a speedy return. Note that United only offers PJs on longer Polaris flights. You won’t see them on transatlantic hops between the US and Europe, but they’re almost always available on flights to Asia, India, Israel and Oceania.
While they’re not specifically stocked for shorter trips, there’s always a chance some will be left on the plane from a longer flight. As we say, it never hurts to ask! Once this latest shutdown-related delay has been resolved, that is.
Featured image by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.