United Offers ORD Weather Waivers in Anticipation of Icy Storms
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Winter is here,” as Game of Thrones loves to remind us. “Let it go,” Elsa from Frozen sang. Unfortunately for people who live in the real world, forecasts suggest that a cold snap is going to affect more than 200 million Americans in 39 states this week, beginning Tuesday.
More than 60% of the US population will experience snow, frozen rain, ice or some other form of wintry weather as a large storm rolls through the Eastern Seaboard, dumping frigid temps and frozen moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic across the Northeast and Midwest.
Chicago O’Hare (ORD), the world’s worst airport for weather-related delays and cancellations is likely to get hit particularly hard this week, including a full day’s worth of wintry blasts forecast for Wednesday. There have already been 618 total delays in and out of O’Hare as of 2pm ET Monday, with 134 canceled flights. That number is likely to rise in days to come.
In anticipation of delays out of its Chicago hub, United tweeted a weather update and waiver announcement, sneaking in a bit of understandable exasperation.
Midwest Winter Weather
- Travel date: Feb. 18
- Airports covered: Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before Feb. 20, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Thus far, no other airlines have offered waivers for this impending storms, but stay tuned for further updates as the week progresses.
Protect Your Travels
Alongside of every winter waiver post, we here at TPG always remind you to book flights with a credit card that provides trip delay expense reimbursement from weather-related delays and cancellations. Other cards with solid trip protection include the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees