United Offers ORD Weather Waivers in Anticipation of Icy Storms
“Winter is here,” as Game of Thrones loves to remind us. “Let it go,” Elsa from Frozen sang. Unfortunately for people who live in the real world, forecasts suggest that a cold snap is going to affect more than 200 million Americans in 39 states this week, beginning Tuesday.
More than 60% of the US population will experience snow, frozen rain, ice or some other form of wintry weather as a large storm rolls through the Eastern Seaboard, dumping frigid temps and frozen moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic across the Northeast and Midwest.
Chicago O’Hare (ORD), the world’s worst airport for weather-related delays and cancellations is likely to get hit particularly hard this week, including a full day’s worth of wintry blasts forecast for Wednesday. There have already been 618 total delays in and out of O’Hare as of 2pm ET Monday, with 134 canceled flights. That number is likely to rise in days to come.
In anticipation of delays out of its Chicago hub, United tweeted a weather update and waiver announcement, sneaking in a bit of understandable exasperation.
Midwest Winter Weather
- Travel date: Feb. 18
- Airports covered: Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before Feb. 20, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Thus far, no other airlines have offered waivers for this impending storms, but stay tuned for further updates as the week progresses.
Protect Your Travels
Alongside of every winter waiver post, we here at TPG always remind you to book flights with a credit card that provides trip delay expense reimbursement from weather-related delays and cancellations. Other cards with solid trip protection include the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.