This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is offering MileagePlus members the opportunity to purchase miles at a discount — but the exact discount you’ll get is a mystery.
To see your United mystery miles offer, head to the promotion’s landing page, click the Reveal My Offer button and sign in to your account. You’ll then be directed to your personalized offer. Note that for all members, regardless of specific offer, the mystery miles promotion ends on May 24, 2018, at 11:59pm CT.
TPG staffers have reported getting offers ranging from a 100% bonus to a 60% bonus, including a 75% offer. Of course, some are better than others. For example, I was targeted to get up to 60% bonus miles with this promotion, broken down into the following tiers:
- Buy 5,000-14,000 miles, get 35% bonus
- Buy 15,000-29,000 miles, get 40% bonus
- Buy 30,000-93,000 miles, get 60% bonus
If I were to maximize the promotion and purchase 93,000 miles, I’d pay $3,499, including taxes and fees, for a total of 148,800 miles. That comes out to about 2.35 cents apiece. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, United miles are worth 1.4 cents apiece.
However, if you were targeted for the 100% bonus, it could make more sense. If you were to max out that offer and purchase 75,000 miles (and get a 75,000-mile bonus) for $2,821 including taxes, you’d be getting a favorable value of 1.88 cents apiece — the best-ever offering from United when purchasing miles.
It’ll be worth checking this mystery miles promotion to see if you were targeted for an enticing offer. Of course, if you’re close to a redemption or have something specific in mind, it could make sense to take advantage. Keep in mind also that the usual restrictions for purchasing United miles apply to this promotion, including the following:
- You must purchase at least 2,000 miles. Miles may be purchased in increments of 1,000 miles.
- Members can only purchase 150,000 miles per account per calendar year, and bonus miles count toward the 150,000 mile annual limit.
- Miles may take up to 48 hours to post to your account.
- Purchased or gifted miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points would be the most rewarding choice.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees