This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is offering MileagePlus members the opportunity to purchase miles at a discount — but the exact discount you’ll get is a mystery.
To see your United mystery miles offer, head to the promotion’s landing page, click the Reveal My Offer button and sign in to your account. You’ll then be directed to your personalized offer. Note that for all members, regardless of specific offer, the mystery miles promotion ends on May 24, 2018, at 11:59pm CT.
TPG staffers have reported getting offers ranging from a 100% bonus to a 60% bonus, including a 75% offer. Of course, some are better than others. For example, I was targeted to get up to 60% bonus miles with this promotion, broken down into the following tiers:
- Buy 5,000-14,000 miles, get 35% bonus
- Buy 15,000-29,000 miles, get 40% bonus
- Buy 30,000-93,000 miles, get 60% bonus
If I were to maximize the promotion and purchase 93,000 miles, I’d pay $3,499, including taxes and fees, for a total of 148,800 miles. That comes out to about 2.35 cents apiece. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, United miles are worth 1.4 cents apiece.
However, if you were targeted for the 100% bonus, it could make more sense. If you were to max out that offer and purchase 75,000 miles (and get a 75,000-mile bonus) for $2,821 including taxes, you’d be getting a favorable value of 1.88 cents apiece — the best-ever offering from United when purchasing miles.
It’ll be worth checking this mystery miles promotion to see if you were targeted for an enticing offer. Of course, if you’re close to a redemption or have something specific in mind, it could make sense to take advantage. Keep in mind also that the usual restrictions for purchasing United miles apply to this promotion, including the following:
- You must purchase at least 2,000 miles. Miles may be purchased in increments of 1,000 miles.
- Members can only purchase 150,000 miles per account per calendar year, and bonus miles count toward the 150,000 mile annual limit.
- Miles may take up to 48 hours to post to your account.
- Purchased or gifted miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points would be the most rewarding choice.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that