United adds bigger aircraft, more options for key summer flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This July, United Airlines will operate 80% of its U.S. schedule compared with the same period in 2019 — a big boost to near-pre-pandemic levels, at least when it comes to domestic flights.
As part of its latest update, United will adjust the timing of flights to, from and through its hubs at Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), in an effort to make connections more convenient for flyers.
“By adjusting our bank structures at two key hub airports, we’re able to offer our customers easy connections to destinations across the U.S. so they can start their vacations at times convenient for them,” United’s vice president of domestic network planning and scheduling, Ankit Gupta, explained.
At ORD and IAD, United will operate more than 480 and 220 daily departures, respectively. Overall, the airline’s July schedule represents a 17% jump over June.
Select international routes are getting a bump as well. The airline’s new nonstop flight between Newark (EWR) and Dubrovnik, Croatia (DBV) will actually kick off earlier than expected, with the inaugural now scheduled for July 1, instead of July 8.
Meanwhile, United’s seasonal service between Newark and Athens, Greece (ATH) will be operated by a Boeing 777-200ER beginning in July, replacing the 767-300ER previously assigned. That aircraft change brings 20 more lie-flat business-class seats, an additional 18 economy seats and a 24-seat Premium Plus cabin.
Also on the Europe front, the airline will be adding a second daily flight between IAD and Frankfurt, Germany (FRA), and United plans to resume service between EWR and Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD) in Spain, and Lisbon (LIS) in Portugal, assuming those countries reopen to vaccinated travelers.
If you already have a United reservation for travel in July, be sure to take a look at your booking — if the new flight times don’t work for your schedule, you can call United reservations at 1-800-864-8331 to move to new flights or, if eligible, request a refund to your original form of payment.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees