Support more than 50 charities through Miles on a Mission this Giving Tuesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s easy to get wrapped up in the energy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals and forget that one of the major themes of the holiday season is to give. That’s why the first Tuesday after the Thanksgiving holiday is dedicated to charity — and today marks this year’s Giving Tuesday.
And as we’re done in previous years, The Points Guy is once again excited to partner with United Airlines and Miles on a Mission to support a number of worthy causes — through the donation of United miles.
Last year TPG raised 22 million miles for 36 charities in need, and this year we’ve set our sights even higher. Our goal for this campaign — which runs from Nov. 30 through Dec. 28 — is 40 million miles. And to sweeten the deal, United will even add a mileage bonus to every nonprofit that reaches its fundraising goal.
You can review the participating organizations and help us reach our goal by visiting this page.
Miles on a Mission is just one of the many ways that United supports the communities where it lives, works and flies — and where you can do some good too. To date, over 200 million miles have been donated since the organization launched in 2019, and an incredible 26.6 million miles were donated on Giving Tuesday alone last year.
This year will be the biggest year of giving yet, as more than 50 nonprofits are participating in Miles on a Mission. Here are just a few of the organizations you can donate to this year:
- Fisher House: Fisher House Foundation builds comfort homes — located at military and VA medical centers around the world — that house military and veteran families while their loved one is in the hospital.
- Shriners Children’s: Formerly Shriners Hospital, Shriners Children’s provides high quality, patient-centered specialty medical care to children and families, regardless of ability to pay or insurance status.
- Conservation International: Conservation International empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature and our global diversity for the well-being of humanity and the planet.
- PeaceJam: An organization close to TPG’s heart, PeaceJam is a global youth organization led by 14 Nobel Peace Laureates dedicated to growing and supporting a generation that believes peace is a verb and knows how to get it done.
- Rainbow Railroad: Another TPG favorite, Rainbow Railroad is a global not-for-profit organization that helps LGBTQ+ people facing persecution in their home countries to find safety through emergency relocation and other forms of assistance.
The best part about donating through Miles on a Mission is that you get to decide which nonprofit you want to support. And it’s a great way to use some of the miles you’ve inevitably collected while we’ve waited for travel to return.
“This Giving Tuesday marks a special occasion for us to come together to support and uplift those who need it the most this holiday season and beyond,” says Suzi Cabo, managing director of global community engagement at United Airlines. “We’re proud to offer our MileagePlus members a meaningful way to use their miles for good and provide critically needed air travel to a variety of nonprofits that serve vulnerable communities across the globe.”
While this campaign will run through Dec. 28, you can donate your miles today in honor of Giving Tuesday — and kick off the holiday season on the right note.
Click here for the full list of participating nonprofits and to donate your miles today.
Featured photo by Jill Bressler/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees