Support more than 50 charities through Miles on a Mission this Giving Tuesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s easy to get wrapped up in the energy of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals and forget that one of the major themes of the holiday season is to give. That’s why the first Tuesday after the Thanksgiving holiday is dedicated to charity — and today marks this year’s Giving Tuesday.
And as we’re done in previous years, The Points Guy is once again excited to partner with United Airlines and Miles on a Mission to support a number of worthy causes — through the donation of United miles.
Last year TPG raised 22 million miles for 36 charities in need, and this year we’ve set our sights even higher. Our goal for this campaign — which runs from Nov. 30 through Dec. 28 — is 40 million miles. And to sweeten the deal, United will even add a mileage bonus to every nonprofit that reaches its fundraising goal.
You can review the participating organizations and help us reach our goal by visiting this page.
Miles on a Mission is just one of the many ways that United supports the communities where it lives, works and flies — and where you can do some good too. To date, over 200 million miles have been donated since the organization launched in 2019, and an incredible 26.6 million miles were donated on Giving Tuesday alone last year.
This year will be the biggest year of giving yet, as more than 50 nonprofits are participating in Miles on a Mission. Here are just a few of the organizations you can donate to this year:
- Fisher House: Fisher House Foundation builds comfort homes — located at military and VA medical centers around the world — that house military and veteran families while their loved one is in the hospital.
- Shriners Children’s: Formerly Shriners Hospital, Shriners Children’s provides high quality, patient-centered specialty medical care to children and families, regardless of ability to pay or insurance status.
- Conservation International: Conservation International empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature and our global diversity for the well-being of humanity and the planet.
- PeaceJam: An organization close to TPG’s heart, PeaceJam is a global youth organization led by 14 Nobel Peace Laureates dedicated to growing and supporting a generation that believes peace is a verb and knows how to get it done.
- Rainbow Railroad: Another TPG favorite, Rainbow Railroad is a global not-for-profit organization that helps LGBTQ+ people facing persecution in their home countries to find safety through emergency relocation and other forms of assistance.
The best part about donating through Miles on a Mission is that you get to decide which nonprofit you want to support. And it’s a great way to use some of the miles you’ve inevitably collected while we’ve waited for travel to return.
“This Giving Tuesday marks a special occasion for us to come together to support and uplift those who need it the most this holiday season and beyond,” says Suzi Cabo, managing director of global community engagement at United Airlines. “We’re proud to offer our MileagePlus members a meaningful way to use their miles for good and provide critically needed air travel to a variety of nonprofits that serve vulnerable communities across the globe.”
While this campaign will run through Dec. 28, you can donate your miles today in honor of Giving Tuesday — and kick off the holiday season on the right note.
Click here for the full list of participating nonprofits and to donate your miles today.
Featured photo by Jill Bressler/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees