This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To welcome in spring — although the weather might not seem like it in parts of the upper Midwest and Northeast — United is offering bonus miles for making purchases through the MileagePlus Shopping portal. With it, you can earn up to 1,000 bonus miles for your purchases, depending on how much you spend.
The promo begins Monday, April 16, and lasts through Sunday, April 29. Because it’s a tiered promotion, you’ll earn more miles for the more you’ll spend. Here’s how it breaks down:
- Earn 300 bonus miles after spending $150
- Earn 1,000 bonus miles after spending $350
The bonuses of 1,000 or 300 miles are in addition to the miles you’ll earn per dollar spent through the shopping portal. How much you’ll earn depends on your cumulative purchases during the promotional period. Meaning, you could make six purchases of $60 during the time and earn the 1,000 bonus miles for your $360 in purchases.
Shopping portals are one of the best ways to earn some bonus miles with an airline to put you on your way to your next award. If you know you’ll be making an online purchase, be sure to do it through a shopping portal in order to earn the bonus miles.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees