United’s Mile Play promo is back: Here’s how you can earn miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
United just launched a new version of its Mile Play promotion, which incentivizes targeted MileagePlus members to book and fly a certain number of trips or miles before a specific date in order to earn bonus miles.
Several TPG staff received targeted offers for trips booked and flown from now through May 10, 2020. This gives travelers just under three months to take advantage of this offer. To see if you’re eligible this time around, click here and enter your MileagePlus number.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As is normal with these, the offers range widely from one member to another. We checked around the TPG office and found the following offers:
TPG himself, Brian Kelly, received an offer for 4,200 miles when booking four trips of $350 or more:
Credit Cards Editor Benet Wilson scored a great offer for 12,000 miles after taking a single trip worth $350 or more:
TPG Travel Analyst Zach Griff saw an offer to earn 2,700 bonus miles when booking four trips of $225 or more:
Another account Griff manages scored an offer for 12,000 points after three trips of $250 or more:
Managing Editor Alberto Riva saw an offer for 7,000 miles after taking one trip for $175, while Senior News Editor Clint Henderson got an offer for 7,200 miles after taking a single trip for $225 or more.
Whether you were targeted for this promotion or not, you can earn a ton of bonus United miles by opening a new United cobranded credit card. Currently, there are three sweet offers:
- The personal United Explorer Card is offering a sign-up bonus of 40,000 bonus miles after $2,000 in purchases in the first three months from account opening. The United personal card earns 2x miles per dollar spent on restaurants, hotels and United purchases, and offers 1x mile per dollar spent on everything else. Other perks include a free checked bag for you and one companion on the same reservation, as long as you purchase your ticket (or pay taxes and fees on an award ticket) from United using the Explorer Card. You’ll also get priority boarding, two one-time United Club passes each year, a 25% discount on inflight United purchases — including Wi-Fi, food and beverages — and access to additional award space.
- The new United Business Card is offering a bonus of 100,000 miles after spending $10,000 on purchases in the first three months after account opening. This newly-launched card features a limited-time increased sign-up offer, which makes it a great time to grab it for your business travel. This card offers you 2x miles on United purchases, local transit and commuting, at restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores, and 1x mile per dollar spent on everything else. You’ll also get a free checked bag for you and one companion on the same reservation, priority boarding, two one-time United Club passes each year and additional award space on United-operated flights. The information for the United Business has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
- The United Club Infinite Card has a limited-time offer of 100,000 miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening. Offer ends May 18, 2020. Cardholders enjoy United Club membership, including two guests or one adult and dependent children under the age of 21. It also offers the first and second checked bag free for the primary cardholder and one companion traveling on the same reservation on United-operated flights when the flights are purchased with the United Club Infinite Card. Other perks include Premier Access travel services and expanded award availability.
While these United co-branded cards are the best for stocking up on United miles, you’ll earn even more miles when you book these flights with one of the best cards for airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare) or the Citi Premier℠ Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve®, American Express® Gold Card, which each earn 3x on airfare (when booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com on the Amex Gold).
The information for the Citi Prestige Card, and the Citi Premier Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo courtesy of Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Additional reporting by JT Genter, Summer Hull and Jasmin Baron.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.