This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In recent months, United Airlines launched a promotion for earning bonus MileagePlus miles, called Mile Play. The program incentivizes select MileagePlus members to book and fly a certain number of trips or miles before a specific date in order to earn a targeted bonus.
The Mile Play promotion for September 2018 offers a number of tailored offers based on one’s recent flight activity: Some require just one booked and completed trip while others require multiple trips above a certain spend amount. Some premium offers in the United 1K MileagePlus Members Facebook group included 150,000 bonus miles in exchange for four premium-cabin bookings completed by October 31, each of which had to cost more than $2,000.
Most TPG staffers were not eligible, but several did receive multi-trip bonus incentives.
Summer is eligible to earn 11,000 award miles for booking and completing four trips before October 31, each with a minimum $250 spend.
Assistant Editor Brendan Dorsey can earn 2,000 miles for booking and completing one $200+ trip before October 31, with an additional 1,000 award miles available for booking in Economy Plus. He can repeat this once for a total of 6,000 bonus miles before October 31.
Meanwhile, TPG Developer Steve Skladany received an offer of 4,200 miles for any single trip over $225 booked and completed before October 31:
These flights are best booked with a card that offers 3x-5x on travel such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Platinum Card® from American Express or the Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, or which offers bonus incentives for booking directly via United such as the United MileagePlus Club card.
Featured photo by United.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards