United Confirms January Opening Date for LAX Polaris Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United currently operates four Polaris Lounges — in Chicago (ORD), Houston (IAH), Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO) — and now we know when the airline will open its fifth, at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
Jan. 12, 2019, is the big day — as of that Saturday, Polaris customers and business or first-class Star Alliance flyers will be able to experience United’s top airport product before departing on long-haul international flights, or when flying Polaris and connecting at LAX en-route to another United destination.
United’s fifth Polaris Lounge will be located near gate 73 at LAX’s Terminal 7, just a few feet away from UA’s long-haul departure gates. As usual, United’s mum on details — while the lounge will almost certainly offer the usual Polaris amenities, like showers, a-la-carte dining and relaxation rooms, all United’s saying for now is that the LAX location “features signature California elements, including locally inspired food and beverages.” United’s scheduled a media preview event for Jan. 10, two days before the official opening — we’ll of course be sharing a sneak peek then.
As always, Polaris Lounge access is restricted to passengers traveling in the following cabins:
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
You’ll need to be ticketed for long-haul intercontinental travel — if you’re flying between the US and Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean, you won’t be able to get in.
While the lounge is also accessible to Star Alliance business and first-class customers, departing on airlines like Air New Zealand or Asiana, those flights leave from the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), roughly a 15-minute airside walk from United. It could certainly be worth the effort to travel to the Polaris Lounge if arriving on United or connecting with a long layover, though passengers with shorter connections may want to visit the existing Star Alliance Lounge at TBIT, instead.
For more on United’s US Polaris Lounges, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.