United adds a new perk for elite flyers: In-flight magazines sent straight to your mailbox
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To reduce the amount of touchpoints while traveling, many airlines have gotten rid of their beloved in-flight magazines. Sadly, you won’t be able to find them in the back of your seat pocket any longer — at least while flying during the pandemic.
Hemispheres, the award-winning magazine found on the seat back of all United Airlines planes, stopped publishing in April. The magazine has been (and will continue to be) available digitally on their website.
But United recently announced that it would start mailing copies to its elite members, specifically belonging to United MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Premier 1K and Global Services, starting in August. These issues are part of their “Hemi at Home” series. They will still feature familiar content from normal issues, ranging from route maps to crossword puzzles.
While the physical magazine won’t be available for the vast majority of flyers, the hope is that advertisers can slowly reintroduce their revenue streams.
Flying looks quite different from it did at the beginning of the year, as in-flight service and amenities are much more limited. But as people are eager to travel again, Hemi at Home provides readers with content they can still appreciate.
United, like many other airlines, has taken several measures to keep its elite members happy and maintain their loyalty. For starters, United extended their Premier elite status and announced a bonus for earning Premier Qualifying Points (PQPs) through credit card spending back in April. These changes aim to help members earn their way to higher elite status levels, but from the comfort of their own homes.
Airlines have had to adapt their loyalty programs, from changing offerings to lowering status thresholds for aspiring elite members. United mailing its in-flight magazine to its most loyal customers is a nice touch, reminding them of the once-familiar days of travel.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees