United boosts onboard food service with new inflight offerings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since March 2020, airlines have drastically reduced their onboard food and beverage offerings.
Whether it’s due to anti-coronavirus precautions or cash-saving measures, don’t expect to be served a full, multi-course meal when seated in a domestic premium cabin these days.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The latest update comes from Chicago-based United, according to an internal memo shared by Brian Sumers and confirmed by the carrier.
Starting on Feb. 1, United will serve a new French twist croissant sandwich on all mainline domestic first-class flights longer than 2 hours, 20 minutes.
This warm sandwich will be available on all morning departures from all seven mainland hubs, as well as select outstations, including Boston (BOS), Cleveland (CLE), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Fort Myers (RSW), Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA). The croissant will replace the current turkey monte sandwich.
Going forward, the new warm croissant will join the existing rotation of sandwiches, like tomato basil and mozzarella focaccia and carved chicken on Italian flatbread, for first-class passengers flying from the aforementioned airports. United will also continue offering snack boxes with a variety of noshes on such flights.
For flights shorter than 2 hours and 20 minutes — but longer than one hour — first-class flyers will receive an “all-in-one” snack bag with a sanitizer, water and two snacks.
Beginning Feb. 1, international business-class flyers will receive an updated pre-arrival meal. United hasn’t detailed the new entrée, but the second meal will include refreshed side offerings, such as fresh fruit, a fruit cup, muffin, croissant or roll.
All meals, including the new offerings, will continue to be served in pre-packaged, sealed containers for customers to unwrap on their own.
The only bad news from the carrier’s policy change is the removal of seasonal hot chocolate from the onboard beverage offering. The remaining drinks available onboard will include coffee, tea, sodas, juices and water. Alcoholic beverages are served complimentary in premium cabins.
American Airlines also serves sandwiches in its domestic first-class cabins. Delta, on the other hand, continues to only offer pre-packaged snack boxes, as well as water, beer and wine — no sodas or hot beverages — when flying in premium cabins.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.