This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hoping to book a trip to the mountains this summer? If a vacation in Aspen (ASE), Bozeman (BZN), Vail (EGE), Gunnison (GUC), Steamboat Springs (HDN), Jackson Hole (JAC) or Montrose (MTJ) sounds like your speed and you have some United miles (or Chase Ultimate Rewards points) to spare, you’re gonna want to check out UA’s latest MileagePlus sale.
Through May 21, the airline is offering up to 25% off round-trip award flights to the destinations above. You can begin your travel in any of the first 49 states (excluding Hawaii), but you’ll need to head to one of those specific airports in order to score the deal.
You can travel between June 9 and June 27, on any day of the week. The 25% discount applies for elite members and customers with a co-branded credit card, such as the United MileagePlus Explorer Card or United MileagePlus Club Card, with round-trip awards priced at 18,750 miles. Everyone else is eligible for a 20% discount, bringing the round-trip cost to 20,000 miles, instead. Only saver economy award flights are eligible.
Depending on where you’re flying from and to, booking one of these awards could definitely make sense.
In the example above, a round-trip award from New York to Jackson, Wyoming will run a cardholder or elite just 18,750 miles round-trip, plus $11.20. (Note that general members will be charged an additional fee of $75 if booking within 21 days of departure, while Silver elites pay $50 and Golds pay $25.)
These same flights will run you $704.60 round-trip if paying cash, a redemption worth nearly 3.7 cents per mile. That return drops to 3.3 cents if you’re stuck paying the $75 fee, but that’s still far more than TPG’s current valuations for United.
Although this sale only applies to travel dates in June, you’ll need to complete your booking by Monday, May 21. Head to United’s site and search as you normally would — assuming there’s saver availability, the discount should be reflected right away.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees