This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hoping to book a trip to the mountains this summer? If a vacation in Aspen (ASE), Bozeman (BZN), Vail (EGE), Gunnison (GUC), Steamboat Springs (HDN), Jackson Hole (JAC) or Montrose (MTJ) sounds like your speed and you have some United miles (or Chase Ultimate Rewards points) to spare, you’re gonna want to check out UA’s latest MileagePlus sale.
Through May 21, the airline is offering up to 25% off round-trip award flights to the destinations above. You can begin your travel in any of the first 49 states (excluding Hawaii), but you’ll need to head to one of those specific airports in order to score the deal.
You can travel between June 9 and June 27, on any day of the week. The 25% discount applies for elite members and customers with a co-branded credit card, such as the United MileagePlus Explorer Card or United MileagePlus Club Card, with round-trip awards priced at 18,750 miles. Everyone else is eligible for a 20% discount, bringing the round-trip cost to 20,000 miles, instead. Only saver economy award flights are eligible.
Depending on where you’re flying from and to, booking one of these awards could definitely make sense.
In the example above, a round-trip award from New York to Jackson, Wyoming will run a cardholder or elite just 18,750 miles round-trip, plus $11.20. (Note that general members will be charged an additional fee of $75 if booking within 21 days of departure, while Silver elites pay $50 and Golds pay $25.)
These same flights will run you $704.60 round-trip if paying cash, a redemption worth nearly 3.7 cents per mile. That return drops to 3.3 cents if you’re stuck paying the $75 fee, but that’s still far more than TPG’s current valuations for United.
Although this sale only applies to travel dates in June, you’ll need to complete your booking by Monday, May 21. Head to United’s site and search as you normally would — assuming there’s saver availability, the discount should be reflected right away.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees