This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The recently revamped mid-tier United Explorer Card recently added some additional benefits, including a credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck every four years, 2x miles on new bonus categories and 25% off inflight purchases.
Currently, it’s offering a sign-up bonus of 40,000 miles after you spend $2,000 in the first three months. This is lower than the previous offer, which included two tiers and awarded up to 65,000 miles.
This card has a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year (and no foreign transaction fees), and it features 2x miles on restaurants and hotel stays as well as on United purchases. The recent addition of the application fee credit for Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) is especially nice considering this is a sub-$100 card.
United-specific card benefits include a free checked bag on United when you purchase your ticket with this card, priority boarding and two United Club passes per year. The card did remove the 10,000-mile bonus for spending at least $25,000 in a calendar year, but you can still get a PQD waiver for United elite status when you spend at least $25,000 in a calendar year.
40,000 miles are worth $560 based on TPG’s valuations. That’s not the highest offer we’ve seen, but if you’re a regular United flyer and you could use the extra miles for an award trip on the horizon, you may want to go ahead and grab the United Explorer Card now.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The United Explorer card recently got some enhancements like 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and on hotel stays and a $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Fee credit. The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
- 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $120 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases