This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s the link to apply now for the United Explorer Card with a 40,000 point bonus.
The recently revamped mid-tier United Explorer Card now comes with some additional benefits: a credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck every four years, 2x miles on new bonus categories and 25% off in-flight purchases. Plus, new cardholders will currently get 40,000 miles after spending $2,000 in the first three months.
This card has a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year (and no foreign transaction fees), and it features 2x miles on restaurants and hotel stays as well as on United purchases. The addition of the application fee credit for Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) is especially nice considering this is a sub-$100 card.
United-specific card benefits include a free checked bag on United when you purchase your ticket with this card, priority boarding and two United Club passes per year. The card did remove the 10,000-mile bonus for spending at least $25,000 in a calendar year, but you can still get a PQD waiver for United elite status when you spend at least $25,000 in a calendar year.
The 40,000-mile bonus is the only welcome offer we’ve seen on this card since it was reincarnated in June (though the card previously also came with a $100 statement credit, which isn’t featured in the current offer). But it’s entirely possible the bonus could be lowered at some point, so this might be a good time to grab the card and pick up the 40,000 bonus miles.
40,000 miles are worth $560 based on TPG’s valuations. So if you’re a regular United flyer and this offer is appealing to you, you may want to go ahead and grab the United Explorer Card now.
- 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- New! Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- New! Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- New! 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases