This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Airlines flight that encountered a mechanical issue was forced to make an emergency landing at Dover Air Force Base on Monday night.
The pilot of United Flight 1559, which was headed from Newark (EWR) to Palm Beach (PBI), declared an emergency and began descending toward Dover Air Force Base about 40 minutes after takeoff.
According to ABC News, the pilots reported “trouble with the elevator” to air traffic controllers. The issue, which could lead to controllability challenges forced the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration N33203), to divert.
The aircraft landed at Dover Air Force Base at about 7:20pm ET. Passengers were told to deplane before boarding once again and taking off for their final destination of Palm Beach at about 1:20am on Tuesday. Flight-tracking website FlightRadar24 shows that the final flight to PBI was operated by the same 737.
“We apologize to our customers and have provided a goodwill gesture,” the airline said in a statement.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards