United will begin offering free economy meals on select Hawaii flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From gate to gate, United’s longest domestic flights clock in at over 10-and-a-half hours. Factoring in time to board and deplane, flyers will spend some 11 hours onboard the aircraft — that’s a long time to go without an inflight meal.
As Live and Let’s Fly reports, the airline’s finally doing something to fix that.
Beginning Aug. 1, economy passengers will get a full meal on select flights to and from Hawaii, bringing United’s coach offering closer in line with that of Hawaiian Airlines. The move follows United’s earlier sandwich “trials” on select Hawaii flights in 2019 and 2020.
As of this Sunday, passengers on morning flights can expect a breakfast of fresh fruit, yogurt, a croissant and granola bar. For lunch and dinner, the airline will serve Hawaiian quinoa salad with grilled chicken, fresh fruit, Hawaiian bread and dessert. Vegetarians will have the option of Hawaiian-style sweet potato and macaroni rainbow salad, instead of the chicken salad above.
The last time I saw full economy meals in a domestic United cabin was on the carrier’s special 747 retirement flight — TPG’s Nick Ellis was served the relative feast pictured below.
Notably, this latest offering won’t quite compare with what flyers got on that special Honolulu (HNL) hop — all of the meals be served cold, and will be available on the following routes:
- Chicago (ORD) to and from Honolulu
- Chicago to and from Maui (OGG)
- Newark (EWR) to and from Honolulu
- Newark to and from Maui
- Washington, D.C. (IAD) to and from Honolulu
Several other flights will include economy meal service as well, but only on the flights from Hawaii. Those include:
- Honolulu to Denver (DEN)
- Honolulu to Houston (IAH)
- Maui to Denver
- Maui to Houston
As for what to expect on other carriers, Hawaiian Airlines serves a full hot meal in economy on its flights from Austin (AUS), Boston (BOS), New York-JFK and Orlando (MCO), and a hot sandwich on flights to and from the West Coast. American Airlines offers a meal to coach flyers as well, but only on flights to and from Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW).
United passengers on other Hawaii flights may have the option of purchasing snacks onboard, but inventory is typically limited, so be sure to make your request as early as possible. The airline will also offer a new pre-order option beginning this fall.
Featured image captured from United’s final 747 flight to HNL by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees