Another One Bites the Dust: United Airlines Ends the United.com Club
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, we learned that United Airlines is officially retiring its Gift Registry, which has been “under renovation” for a couple of years. Prior to 2017, this had been a great way to use your airline fee credits available on a variety of credit cards. But while the page has said it would return after “maintenance” was performed, we now know that is not going to happen.
Unfortunately, that is not the only program United discontinued this week: The airline’s United.com Club closed to new members within a day or two after I wrote about how the program has saved my family a few hundred dollars in flights over the years. (Talk about bad timing.) United’s site states that the program is ending as it keeps “evolving the digital experience” for travelers.
Previously, you could pay $25 per year to join the club and earn $5 in United flight credit for each revenue flight purchased while logged into United.com. Those with active memberships can continue to use their membership through the end of the membership year, but there will be no additional renewals, and no new members can join the program.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.