United Releases Business Award Seats on Inaugural Cape Town Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what’s arguably one of the airline’s most exciting route announcements to date, United will be launching nonstop service between Newark (EWR) and Cape Town, South Africa (CPT) on December 15, 2019.
Previously, the carrier’s business-class cabin was completely sold out on that very first flight, but United just opened up a handful of seats. There are at least nine available to book at the time of this writing.
Unfortunately there aren’t any deals to be had — if you’re paying cash, expect to spend at least $8,400 on a round-trip ticket, with some return flights costing a whole lot more.
One-way award rates are sky-high, too — since this route doesn’t launch until after United’s redemption changes kick in, you’ll need to redeem 300,000 miles to secure a lie-flat seat on the inaugural, worth $3,900 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
Also, it’s worth noting that as of now, United’s listing its old 2-2-2 business-class product on this route, since it will be operated by a 787-9 Dreamliner. That aircraft will eventually get the new Polaris seat, with a 1-2-1 arrangement, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the older seat on this inaugural flight.
Given the excitement around this particular route, the inaugural flight should be quite an event — a party before departure, upon arrival in Cape Town and of course onboard will make for a very special trip to South Africa.
Featured photo courtesy of One&Only Cape Town.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees