This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what’s arguably one of the airline’s most exciting route announcements to date, United will be launching nonstop service between Newark (EWR) and Cape Town, South Africa (CPT) on December 15, 2019.
Previously, the carrier’s business-class cabin was completely sold out on that very first flight, but United just opened up a handful of seats. There are at least nine available to book at the time of this writing.
Unfortunately there aren’t any deals to be had — if you’re paying cash, expect to spend at least $8,400 on a round-trip ticket, with some return flights costing a whole lot more.
One-way award rates are sky-high, too — since this route doesn’t launch until after United’s redemption changes kick in, you’ll need to redeem 300,000 miles to secure a lie-flat seat on the inaugural, worth $3,900 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
Also, it’s worth noting that as of now, United’s listing its old 2-2-2 business-class product on this route, since it will be operated by a 787-9 Dreamliner. That aircraft will eventually get the new Polaris seat, with a 1-2-1 arrangement, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the older seat on this inaugural flight.
Given the excitement around this particular route, the inaugural flight should be quite an event — a party before departure, upon arrival in Cape Town and of course onboard will make for a very special trip to South Africa.
Featured photo courtesy of One&Only Cape Town.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards