United Releases Business Award Seats on Inaugural Cape Town Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what’s arguably one of the airline’s most exciting route announcements to date, United will be launching nonstop service between Newark (EWR) and Cape Town, South Africa (CPT) on December 15, 2019.
Previously, the carrier’s business-class cabin was completely sold out on that very first flight, but United just opened up a handful of seats. There are at least nine available to book at the time of this writing.
Unfortunately there aren’t any deals to be had — if you’re paying cash, expect to spend at least $8,400 on a round-trip ticket, with some return flights costing a whole lot more.
One-way award rates are sky-high, too — since this route doesn’t launch until after United’s redemption changes kick in, you’ll need to redeem 300,000 miles to secure a lie-flat seat on the inaugural, worth $3,900 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
Also, it’s worth noting that as of now, United’s listing its old 2-2-2 business-class product on this route, since it will be operated by a 787-9 Dreamliner. That aircraft will eventually get the new Polaris seat, with a 1-2-1 arrangement, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the older seat on this inaugural flight.
Given the excitement around this particular route, the inaugural flight should be quite an event — a party before departure, upon arrival in Cape Town and of course onboard will make for a very special trip to South Africa.
Featured photo courtesy of One&Only Cape Town.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.