United introduces complimentary child amenity kits on all mainline flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While some international airlines have historically offered family-specific amenities including “flying nannies,” inflight toys, dedicated play areas in lounges, complimentary strollers in airports and more, the same hasn’t always been true when flying within the U.S. When flying with kids in the U.S., you might receive early boarding for very young children, but beyond that, you were usually pretty much on your own to meet your kids’ needs and keep them entertained at 36,000 feet.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
But United Airlines is now bucking that trend and giving parents a little help by providing kids with extra fun (and safety) while onboard.
After a successful trial within select markets, United Airlines now offers complimentary children’s activity kits on all mainline flights. United tells TPG that flight attendants will offer the kits to children during the inflight service.
The children’s activity kits include:
- Child-sized mask.
- Travel journal activity book with crayons.
- Origami paper airplane activity.
- Sanitizing wipe.
- Eco-friendly, recyclable paper bag.
Little things can feel like big things when traveling with kids strapped into a seat in a small tube in the sky for hours on end.
When my kids were younger, there were times that even the pictures in the inflight magazines provided a few minutes of backup entertainment when we’d been through our bag of tricks. While United’s children’s activity kits are simple, sometimes simple is all you need in the sky. Getting something made especially for kids can be a welcome and exciting break during the flight for both kids and parents alike.
Related: AA introduces new amenity kits
And of course, given the current times and protocols, having an extra kid-sized mask and sanitizing wipe on hand is also an asset.
Related: 9 ways to use your amenity kits
United Airlines is also in the process of retrofitting aircraft to again have personal built-in inflight entertainment screens and has made its inflight entertainment complimentary. These are also both great moves toward providing a more pleasant inflight experience for passengers of all ages.
Featured photo courtesy United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees