United brings back award flights starting at just 5,000 miles each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the weeks following the great drop-off of life as we knew it back in March, we initially saw airlines offering deals to try and counteract the precipitous reduction in bookings. But then, as the reality of the situation sunk in, things changed.
Likely, what happened is that the airlines saw that price drops were no longer a motivator to get most customers back in the air. As 95% of normal flyers stayed firmly on the ground at the low point this spring, air travel was simply deemed too risky by many for anything but essential movement — even if it was basically free. By some point in April, United virtually eliminated the lower-priced awards that were a byproduct of its dynamic-priced award chart system that had taken effect a few months prior.
For more TPG travel news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Gone were 5,000- and 7,000-mile United award flights, as the minimum price jumped back up to about 12,500 miles per direction of travel. That situation remained pretty static for several months based on our periodic searches.
But now in August, travel deals are back en vogue.
We’ve seen one airline after another come out with some type of sale or offer in the last week or two. And sure enough, we are happy to report that United MileagePlus awards are now pricing again starting at just 5,000 miles each way.
Most of the lowest-priced milage deals we’ve come across are for fall travel, though the only way to know for sure what your route may cost is to run a search and use the 30-day calendar view if you have some flexibility in travel dates. And since 2020 is very … unpredictable … take note that United is currently offering fee-free award redeposits as long as you take that action at least 30 days before departure.
Here’s an example of some of the award prices we’ve spotted this fall on United:
- Newark (EWR) – Miami (MIA): 5,000 miles
- Chicago (ORD) – Orlando (MCO): 5,000 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Denver (DEN): 5,000 miles
- Washington DC (IAD) – Portland, Maine (PWM): 5,500 miles
- Denver (DEN) – Seattle (SEA): 6,000 miles
- Chigago (ORD) – Boston (BOS): 7,000 miles
- Houston (IAH) – Orlando (MCO): 7,000 miles
- Newark (EWR) – Dallas (DFW): 7,000 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Newark (EWR): 7,500 miles
- Houston (IAH) – Anahaiem (SNA): 7,500 miles
With quarantine rules, health risks and other challenges still facing travelers for the foreseeable future, it may not yet be time for you to jump on one of these low-priced United awards. However, it is a great sign to see that they have returned, for whenever your next award flight at 36,000 feet may occur.
Featured image courtesy of Carlos Yudica/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees