Bonus switcheroo: United may have changed your Mile Play offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, this certainly isn’t ideal. Earlier this month, United Airlines rolled out a new Mile Play promotion, giving its MileagePlus members an opportunity to earn bonus miles after completing specific travel-related tasks.
For example, I was offered an opportunity to earn 7,800 bonus United miles after booking four premium trips totaling at least $650 each. TPG values United miles at 1.3 cents, making this offer worth just over $100 — certainly not a reason to spend $2,600 on United flights on its own.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our free daily newsletter.
When I log in now, however, I see an entirely different offer. After booking four premium trips totaling at least $500 each, I’ll walk away with 22,000 miles — a far more compelling figure.
My girlfriend’s offer changed as well — in her case, not for the better. Originally, United offered a whopping 36,000 miles after taking four trips with a base fare of at least $225 each. That bonus is worth $468, based on TPG’s valuations, and I started to plot out some fun travel options that would get her to the finish line.
Now, her offer has also been updated, but in this case, the total bonus amount dropped to 28,000 miles. At the same time, the amount she’ll need to spend on each trip jumped from $225 to $300 — a less exciting offer, overall.
Several readers and TPG staffers have noted that their bonuses have changed as well. TPG’s Zach Griff has an entirely new offer — instead of earning 2,500 bonus miles after two trips totaling just $50 each, he can earn 5,000 miles after one $300 trip.
United confirmed that some of the original offers have been updated since the promotion first began. As a spokesperson explained, “there was an issue that impacted 1% of targeted customers, however, we resolved the issue within a matter of hours and all customers should now see correct offers.”
If you haven’t logged in since the latest Mile Play promotion first went live, I’d head over to this page and see if your offer has changed — your bonus will be awarded based on what is displayed there now.
Additionally, moving forward, I’d recommend taking a screenshot of any new promotion you tend to pursue regardless of whether it’s an airline status challenge, hotel stay offer or a credit card welcome bonus. You might need to reference it later in the rare case that things don’t exactly go to plan.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees