How to check if you’re eligible for 2,500 bonus miles for being a United credit card holder
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now through January 31, 2020, United is teaming up with Chase to give away 2,500 bonus United MileagePlus miles to targeted United co-branded credit card cardholders. Why? “Just because.”
If you’re a cardholder, all you need to do to claim the bonus miles is browse to the promotion’s landing page, enter the last four digits of your credit card number, your MileagePlus account number, complete the reCAPTCHA challenge and click “get my bonus miles.”
Unfortunately, not all United co-branded cards are eligible. First, this seems to be targeted only for cardholders of the United℠ Explorer Card. Even so, not all cardholders are eligible for these free 2,500 bonus miles. If you’re not eligible, you’ll get the following error message:
If you’re targeted, don’t expect to get the miles immediately. The terms and conditions note that you need to “allow 6-8 weeks after the promotion ends on January 31, 2020 for 2,500 bonus miles to post to your MileagePlus account.”
At current TPG valuations, the 2,500 bonus miles are worth around $33. Considering the annual fee on the United℠ Explorer Card is a reasonable $95 per year — currently waived the first year — it’s understandable that this offer isn’t available to all cardholders.
If you don’t have the United℠ Explorer Card yet, the card is packed with valuable benefits like priority boarding, two, one-time United Club lounge passes per year, a first free checked bag for the primary cardholder and up to one companion on United flights and an up to $100 TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit.
For new applications now through April 2, 2020, you can earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
Featured image courtesy of United.
The United Explorer card recently got some enhancements like 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and on hotel stays and a Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Fee credit (up to $100). The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
- Limited-time offer! Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $120 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases