United Issues Travel Waiver Over Planned Brussels Airlines Pilot Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Employees of one more European airline are about to go on strike, causing a disruption to flights throughout some of its network. Brussels Airlines’ pilot union has called for strike actions on May 14 and 16.
Because of the strike, Brussels Airlines, a subsidiary of Lufthansa, has proactively canceled several of its flights. In addition, even if your flight is not canceled and you’re scheduled to travel on either May 14 or 16, Brussels is allowing passengers to rebook travel at a later date (as long as it’s before June 30), or to get a full refund of your ticket.
According to the airline, Brussels will be operating the following flights on May 14 and 16, respectively:
The pilot union informed the airline of its intention to strike earlier this month over a dispute of pay and conditions. According to Reuters, Brussels pilots want an increase in pay, a better work-life balance, improved career prospects and the potential for an earlier retirement.
In addition to Brussels itself issuing a travel waiver, its Star Alliance partner United has also issued a travel waiver of its own. If you’re scheduled to travel with United May 13-16 through Brussels (BRU), you could be eligible to have some costs waived. More specifically, the change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before May 24. Travel must be rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin and between the same cities as originally ticketed. For more information, visit the United site.
Brussels Airlines pilots aren’t the only airline crew that are currently in the midst of a dispute over pay. Air France workers have been striking in spurts since early February, forcing the company’s CEO to resign. The groups have yet to come to an agreement.
Featured image by AFP Contributor / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees