United Issues Travel Waiver Over Planned Brussels Airlines Pilot Strike
Employees of one more European airline are about to go on strike, causing a disruption to flights throughout some of its network. Brussels Airlines’ pilot union has called for strike actions on May 14 and 16.
Because of the strike, Brussels Airlines, a subsidiary of Lufthansa, has proactively canceled several of its flights. In addition, even if your flight is not canceled and you’re scheduled to travel on either May 14 or 16, Brussels is allowing passengers to rebook travel at a later date (as long as it’s before June 30), or to get a full refund of your ticket.
According to the airline, Brussels will be operating the following flights on May 14 and 16, respectively:
The pilot union informed the airline of its intention to strike earlier this month over a dispute of pay and conditions. According to Reuters, Brussels pilots want an increase in pay, a better work-life balance, improved career prospects and the potential for an earlier retirement.
In addition to Brussels itself issuing a travel waiver, its Star Alliance partner United has also issued a travel waiver of its own. If you’re scheduled to travel with United May 13-16 through Brussels (BRU), you could be eligible to have some costs waived. More specifically, the change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before May 24. Travel must be rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin and between the same cities as originally ticketed. For more information, visit the United site.
Brussels Airlines pilots aren’t the only airline crew that are currently in the midst of a dispute over pay. Air France workers have been striking in spurts since early February, forcing the company’s CEO to resign. The groups have yet to come to an agreement.
Featured image by AFP Contributor / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.