United and Avianca Award Booking Issues Appear to Be Fixed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last few months, we’ve written about issues that members have had redeeming Avianca and United miles on partner airlines. Today, there’s excellent news, as reports filtering in are stating that these issues appear to be resolved.
For six months, United and Singapore have been struggling to resolve an “IT issue” that has prevented UA travelers from booking any sort of award redemption with Singapore Airlines via United’s website. According to a previous statement made to Live and Let’s Fly, the issue was expected to be resolved by July 2019, so they’re actually ahead of schedule — even though it’s taken months to fix.
Long-haul flights in premium cabins on Singapore are typically not available using partner programs, and that remains the case. However, searches on United.com are now showing regional economy and business class awards on many routes, like these examples from Shanghai (PVG) to Singapore (SIN).
We’re seeing decent availability in economy and much less in premium cabins, though that’s true for just about any award booking.
If you’re fortunate enough to find business-class award inventory on a United flight from the US to Asia connecting to a Singapore flight, it’s just 75,000 miles for a chance to fly United’s retrofitted 777-200 Polaris product, though you may be stuck flying in Singapore’s older business class cabin with a 2-2-2 configuration instead of the 1-2-1 available on some of its newer planes.
It’s also worth noting that a casual search produced no availability on any of Singapore’s nonstop flights from the US — even in economy — though it’s possible that a more thorough dig may turn up some awards.
Meanwhile, the Avianca LifeMiles’ website, which had completely stopped showing award redemptions for both United and Air Canada, appears to have resolved whatever issue was plaguing it (this time). A quick search shows good availability for United:
And Air Canada:
We’ve written previously about LifeMiles flights pricing out at discounted rates, and that still appears to be live. This is especially good news as United makes the move to a fully-dynamic award chart.
Let’s hope that award availability sticks around for both of these programs.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees