United Appears to Be Testing the CRJ550, Its New Dual-Class 50-Seat Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines continues to tout its latest regional jet: the 50-seat Bombardier CRJ550 with 10 first class seats will allow the carrier to expand premium seating offerings into a range of smaller markets.
One of the first of those aircraft, a re-configured and re-certified Bombardier CRJ700 airframe, flew to United’s Chicago O’Hare (ORD) base yesterday, in what appears to be an early familiarization flight.
View this post on Instagram
The catering truck finally moved out of the way revealing the entire #UnitedAirlines #CRJ550 (newly configured #CRJ700) with evolution globe livery. ???????? #Aviation #AviationPhotohraphy #AviationGeek #AvGeek #Bombadier #CRJ #CRJ7 #CRJ550 #StarAlliance #StarAllianceGold
A post shared by Wesley (@foppish_bum) on
The aircraft, registration N504GJ and operated by GoJet Airlines, flew to Chicago from Montreal (YUL) on Wednesday, according to Flightaware.com. The flight was its only one in the past week.
A United spokesman declined to comment.
United plans to introduce the first of 54 CRJ550s this fall. In addition to 10 first class seats, the jets will be outfitted with 20 extra-legroom Economy Plus and 20 economy seats. They will have three closets aimed to eliminate the need for passengers to gate-check carry-on bags.
— FS Videos & Photos✈️ (@FSA_2013) August 8, 2019
“Our first set of CRJ550s are being prepared to enter service later this year with [a] focus on Chicago and New York,” said Andrew Nocella, commercial chief at United, in July.
The airline has said the CRJ550 will debut on flights between Chicago and Northwest Arkansas (XNA) near Fayetteville, Arkansas, which is home to global retailer Wal Mart.
In meetings with Raymond James analysts on Tuesday, United executives said they anticipate a “critical mass” of in-service CRJ550s by around March 2020.
United is betting that the CRJ550 will improve its competitive position in smaller US markets. It plans to use the aircraft to replace 50-seat jets configured in an all-economy layout to boost its share of business travelers in small markets like Northwest Arkansas.
The carrier cites limits in its contract with pilots for the unique premium solution. United cannot contract more more than 255 regional jets with 70-76 seats, on which first class cabins are standard. Competitors American Airlines and Delta Air Lines can both contract more than 300 of the larger jets.
Featured image by Eric Salard / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees