This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Six United hubs will begin hosting a total of 22 new routes as early as this month, according to a United statement released Monday. The bulk of the routes bolster the airline’s East Coast presence, especially out of the New York/Newark (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD) hubs.
“New Yorkers don’t stop, and neither should their flights,” said Jill Kaplan, United’s president of New York/New Jersey. The Newark hub is adding nonstop service between New York/Newark and Pensacola (PNS), Anchorage (ANC) and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (HHH).
The announced routes introduce a number of nonstop service options, such as between Washington Dulles and Asheville, North Carolina (AVL), as well as between San Francisco (SFO) and Columbus, Ohio (CMH), beginning in June 2019. Nonstop service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Eugene, Oregon (EUG), Madison, Wisconsin (MSN), and Pasco/Tri-Cities (PSC), Washington will begin March 31, 2019. Meanwhile, Chicago O’Hare (ORD) will begin offering direct service to and from Hilton Head Island as well, coming April 2019.
Other cities that will enjoy expanded service include Detroit, St. Louis, Omaha, Richmond, and Kansas City, Missouri, according to Kaplan. Denver International Airport (DEN) will see a significant increase in new service, adding Charleston, South Carolina (CHS); Eureka, California (ACV); and Fairbanks, Alaska (FAI), to its travel list. A few other changes are in the works: United will shift existing shorter-haul flights to Elmira, New York (ELM); Lexington, Kentucky (LEX); and Manchester, New Hampshire (MHT), from New York/Newark to its Washington Dulles hub.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva for The Points Guy
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees