United Airlines Passengers Can Now Prepay Their Bag Fees
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you’re flying United, you won’t have to wait in line just for the privilege of paying to check a bag anymore. The airline will now let travelers pay those fees online any time after their travel is ticketed.
USA Today first reported on the new policy, which the airline confirmed at the Boyd Group International Aviation Forecast Summit in Las Vegas.
In an email sent to employees, which TPG reviewed, the airline noted that it is the first legacy carrier to offer a baggage pre-pay option.
Historically, low-cost carriers like Spirit and Frontier have allowed passengers to pay their ancillary fees ahead of time (and then charged a premium to passengers who chose to pay at the airport), but traditional full-fare airlines like United have generally only permitted passengers to pay fees in person or during the online check-in process.
Unlike the low-cost carriers, United will charge the same rates ($30 for the first checked bag and $40 for the second) to passengers whether they pay online or in person. United’s software will automatically refund passengers who pre-pay for a bag but do not end up checking one.
The airline said the new system should help reduce crowding in airport check-in areas.
For those looking for avoid bag fees altogether, travelers holding either the United Explorer Card or United Explorer Business Card get a free checked bag for the card holder and for up to one traveling companion.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.