United will soon fly Dreamliners on all of its flights between Chicago and Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines flights to Asia from its Chicago O’Hare base will be exclusively flown with Boeing 787s by next fall, with the Boeing 777 disappearing from long-haul flights at the hub.
The Star Alliance carrier will transition its flights between Chicago (ORD) and Shanghai Pudong (PVG) in mid-May, Beijing Capital (PEK) in mid-June, and Tokyo Haneda (HND) next fall to the Dreamliner, it told employees in an internal newsletter earlier in November.
The 787 will replace 777-200s on all three routes, United said. It does not specify which Dreamliner variant will operate each route.
The carrier will begin flying the Dreamliner from O’Hare in March. The return an extended hiatus at United’s largest hub will see 787-9s and -10s flying to Brussels (BRU), Frankfurt (FRA) and Munich (MUC) beginning March 28.
After the initial European and now Asian routes, Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU) are the only remaining long-haul routes from Chicago without a timeline to shift to the 787.
United’s shift in Chicago comes as it plans to debut its first 787-8s and -9s retrofitted with its Polaris business class hard product by year end. The 787-10s are all outfitted with the seats, as well as its Premium Plus premium economy cabin, from delivery.
Patrick Quayle, United’s head of international network planning, told TPG in September that the updated 787s will likely float around the airline’s international network initially once they enter service. However, he hopes to isolate them on ultra long-haul routes, like between Houston (IAH) and Sydney (SYD) or San Francisco (SFO) and Singapore (SIN), as soon as there is a critical mass of aircraft.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.