United Airlines 737 Skids Off Snowy O’Hare Runway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Winter weather took aim at the Chicago area once again this weekend, dumping up to 8 inches of snow in parts of the Midwestern city. While Chicago is accustomed to dealing with nasty winter storms, the most recent round of winter weather managed to heavily impacted travel, canceling more than 900 flights on Saturday at the area’s two airports, Midway (MDW) and O’Hare (ORD). In addition to canceling flights and delaying hundreds more, a minor runway incident is being blamed on the winter weather at Chicago O’Hare Airport around noon on Saturday.
United Airlines flight UA656 departed Phoenix (PHX) a few minutes late bound for a snowy Chicago-O’Hare. After a being put into a brief holding pattern outside of Chicago, UA656 descended and approached runway 4R. After a successful and standard landing before noon, the aircraft began to taxi to the gate. As the Boeing 737-900ER exited the runway to continue on to a taxiway, the aircraft skidded off of the runway into a snow-covered patch of grass.
A standard emergency response followed with first responders arriving at the site. Passengers exited the aircraft via stairs and were bussed to the terminal. No one was injured when the aircraft slid off into the patch of grass. In a statement to a local Chicago station WGN-9, one passenger remarked, “Everything was smooth, and all of a sudden, the plane kind of slid off. We were right by the engine, so we could feel the impact.”
A spokesperson for United confirmed in a statement via email that, “Due to the weather conditions, United flight 656 from Phoenix to Chicago, rolled off the concrete surface. No injuries were reported and customers will be bussed to the terminal.”
The spokesperson added that the flight was turning off the runway at a low speed at the time of the incident, and that all customers were indeed safely bussed to the terminal.
The incident is being attributed to the winter weather in the area. As of midday Sunday, the 900 flight cancellation figure has reportedly risen to more than 1,000 cancellations, also due to the ongoing winter storm. Travelers planning on flying into the Chicago area during the next few days should continue to monitor their flight, or contact the airline directly due to the impact of the recent winter storm.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.