United Increases Its Number of Flights to College Football Hotspots This Fall
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
College football fans, rejoice. United Airlines wants to make it easier to travel to college cities across the country in order to see the biggest college games. This fall, the Chicago-based airline is adding frequencies to a number of existing destinations that it also qualifies as top college football markets, as well as adding larger planes to operate some of its routes.
Between September and November, United is adding more than 204,000 total seats to the popular college football destinations, amounting to 2,200 additional daily seats.
“Each fall, football fans travel from near and far to cheer on their alma matter or favorite college team,” said Ankit Gupta, United’s VP of domestic network. “Football brings families, friends and classmates together for thrilling and memorable moments, which is why we’ve added over 204,000 seats to top college markets this fall to help our customers more easily get to these exciting games.”
These are the routes gaining additional frequencies between September and November:
|Route||Major College Nearby||Typical Frequency (round-trips per week)||New Frequency (round-trips per week)|
|Chicago (ORD) ⇒ Columbia, SC (CAE)||University of South Carolina||2||3|
|Chicago (ORD) ⇒ Madison, WI (MSN)||University of Wisconsin||7||9|
|Chicago (ORD) ⇒ Oklahoma City, OK (OKC)||University of Oklahoma||3||4|
|Chicago (ORD) ⇒ Omaha, NE (OMA)||University of Nebraska||5||6|
|Chicago (ORD) ⇒ South Bend, IN (SBN)||University of Notre Dame||4||5|
|Chicago (ORD) ⇒ State College, PA (SCE)||Penn State University||3||4|
|Denver (DEN) ⇒ Knoxville, TN (TYS)||University of Tennessee||1||2|
|Houston (IAH) ⇒ College Station, TX (CLL)||Texas A&M||2||3|
|New York (EWR) ⇒ Columbus, OH (CMH)||Ohio State||7||8|
|New York (EWR) ⇒ Detroit, MI (DTW)||University of Michigan||6||7|
|New York (EWR) ⇒ Madison, WI (MSN)||University of Wisconsin||2||3|
|New York (EWR) ⇒ Omaha, NE (OMA)||University of Nebraska||2||3|
|New York (EWR) ⇒ South Bend, IN (SBN)||University of Notre Dame||1||2|
|Washington, DC (IAD) ⇒ Columbia, SC (CAE)||University of South Carolina||2||3|
|Washington, DC (IAD) ⇒ Greenville, SC (GSP)||Clemson||3||4|
|Washington, DC (IAD) ⇒ Knoxville, TN (TYS)||University of Tennessee||2||4|
|Washington, DC (IAD) ⇒ State College, PA (SCE)||Penn State University||2||3|
In addition to the added frequencies in select markets, United is also adding larger aircraft on some other routes in order to accommodate more passengers.
The following routes will get larger aircraft on the routes from September through November:
- Chicago (ORD) ⇒ Fayetteville, AR (XNA)
- Chicago (ORD) ⇒ Lansing, MI (LAN)
- Denver (DEN) ⇒ Austin, TX (AUS)
- Houston (IAH) ⇒ Birmingham, AL (BHM)
- Houston (IAH) ⇒ Fayetteville, AR (XNA)
- Houston (IAH) ⇒ Tucson, AZ (TUS)
- New York (EWR) ⇒ Austin, TX (AUS)
- San Francisco (SFO) ⇒ Boise, ID (BOI)
If you’re planning to take advantage of one of these limited-time route increases, consider signing up for one of these credit cards that are best for flying with United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees