United Adding 777-300ER to Newark-Hong Kong Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There was some very good news buried in Friday’s Premium Plus announcement from United — beginning March 30, 2019, the airline will begin flying a new Boeing 777-300ER on its third longest flight, with daily service between Newark (EWR) and Hong Kong (HKG), replacing the dated 777-200ER currently operating that flight.
There will be more seats available throughout the plane — Polaris business class will jump from 50 seats to 60 and economy will increase from 145 seats to 204. There will be 24 Premium Plus seats as well, at the cost of Economy Plus — that extra-legroom coach section will drop from 72 seats to 62 as a result.
United isn’t adding 777-300ERs to the fleet to support this change, however — the airline will remove its largest plane from the San Francisco (SFO)-Beijing (PEK) route, operating a retrofitted 777-200ER there, instead.
While this is a positive change for business class passengers — and those booking United’s brand-new Premium Plus product — the 777-300ER is a tighter squeeze in economy, with 3-4-3 seating instead of the 3-3-3 seats on the Newark-Hong Kong route today.
For more on United’s 777-300ER, see:
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.