United Confirms Plans to Retire 757s, Install Lie-Flat Seats on 737 MAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tuesday, news broke that United was considering installing lie-flat seats on some of its new Boeing 737 MAX 10s, which the carrier expects to begin adding to the fleet in 2020. Now, just one day later, UA has confirmed those plans, and announced a timetable for retiring the 757-200s currently used for the airline’s premium transcon service.
Per an airline spokesperson:
“Starting in 2020, we anticipate retiring the 757 aircraft fleet that was original to United and replacing them with 737 MAX 10s with lie-flat seats in the first class cabin.”
Currently, the airline operates two versions of its 757-200 on transcon flights between Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO); and Boston (BOS) and SFO, with LAX service coming this fall, too.
While 757s that originally flew for Continental are used for international flights as well, primarily from the East Coast to Europe, there are 15 757-200s that operated domestic transcons for United prior to the merger — it’s these planes, delivered between 1989 and 1999, that are scheduled to be retired beginning in 2020.
It’s not yet clear how many 737 MAX 10s will offer the lie-flat configuration, or which seat will be used. I imagine the carrier’s pick will sport a similar 2-2 arrangement, though — the aircraft being replaced currently offer 28 business-class seats, and given the strong demand, I wouldn’t expect that number to decrease in the future.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees