United Confirms Plans to Retire 757s, Install Lie-Flat Seats on 737 MAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tuesday, news broke that United was considering installing lie-flat seats on some of its new Boeing 737 MAX 10s, which the carrier expects to begin adding to the fleet in 2020. Now, just one day later, UA has confirmed those plans, and announced a timetable for retiring the 757-200s currently used for the airline’s premium transcon service.
Per an airline spokesperson:
“Starting in 2020, we anticipate retiring the 757 aircraft fleet that was original to United and replacing them with 737 MAX 10s with lie-flat seats in the first class cabin.”
Currently, the airline operates two versions of its 757-200 on transcon flights between Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO); and Boston (BOS) and SFO, with LAX service coming this fall, too.
While 757s that originally flew for Continental are used for international flights as well, primarily from the East Coast to Europe, there are 15 757-200s that operated domestic transcons for United prior to the merger — it’s these planes, delivered between 1989 and 1999, that are scheduled to be retired beginning in 2020.
It’s not yet clear how many 737 MAX 10s will offer the lie-flat configuration, or which seat will be used. I imagine the carrier’s pick will sport a similar 2-2 arrangement, though — the aircraft being replaced currently offer 28 business-class seats, and given the strong demand, I wouldn’t expect that number to decrease in the future.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.