This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Budget airline Ryanair, the largest airline in Europe by passengers carried, is being taken to court by the United Kingdom’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for refusing to refund thousands of British customers who suffered through dozens of Ryanair flight delays and cancellations this summer.
The CAA is an independent regulations entity established by Parliament responsible for holding the aviation industry accountable in the UK. After Ryanair flatly refused to refund thousands of tickets this summer, citing pilot and cabin crew strikes, the CAA took over on behalf of those passengers, taking legal action against the low-cost carrier. The organization believes that Ryanair’s consumers deserve repayment under local laws, although the airline has taken the stance that the strikes were out of its control, and therefore do not fall under the restrictions of the law. The budget carrier has successfully evaded refunding customers in other European countries.
“Courts in Germany, Spain and Italy have already ruled that strikes are an ‘exceptional circumstance,’ ” Ryanair said in a statement. “We expect the UK CAA and courts will follow this precedent.”
Featured photo of a Ryanair 737-800 at Milan Malpensa airport, February 28, 2018, by Alberto Riva/TPG)
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees