UK Regulator Takes Ryanair to Court Over Refunds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Budget airline Ryanair, the largest airline in Europe by passengers carried, is being taken to court by the United Kingdom’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for refusing to refund thousands of British customers who suffered through dozens of Ryanair flight delays and cancellations this summer.
The CAA is an independent regulations entity established by Parliament responsible for holding the aviation industry accountable in the UK. After Ryanair flatly refused to refund thousands of tickets this summer, citing pilot and cabin crew strikes, the CAA took over on behalf of those passengers, taking legal action against the low-cost carrier. The organization believes that Ryanair’s consumers deserve repayment under local laws, although the airline has taken the stance that the strikes were out of its control, and therefore do not fall under the restrictions of the law. The budget carrier has successfully evaded refunding customers in other European countries.
“Courts in Germany, Spain and Italy have already ruled that strikes are an ‘exceptional circumstance,’ ” Ryanair said in a statement. “We expect the UK CAA and courts will follow this precedent.”
Featured photo of a Ryanair 737-800 at Milan Malpensa airport, February 28, 2018, by Alberto Riva/TPG)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.