This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While Verizon’s been my go-to for talk, text and data in the US, I’ve long been a fan of Google’s Project Fi for international travel, letting me add a data-only SIM to TPG‘s account to surf the web in more than 170 countries and territories for just $10 per gigabyte. The only issue is, it doesn’t support traditional phone calls, making it impossible to ring an Uber driver when things don’t go exactly as planned.
VoIP, which stands for Voice over Internet Protocol, enables voice calling over a data connection — think Skype, or Apple’s FaceTime Audio. You don’t need a SIM card with traditional calling support to use VoIP — just a decently fast data connection, a capable app and a device with a compatible microphone and speaker.
VoIP support also lets Uber users call a driver over a Wi-Fi connection, making it possible to get in touch even if you don’t have roaming support, or when you’re hoping to avoid hefty international fees when using your home SIM abroad. The new feature also entirely eliminates the need for Uber to reveal phone phone numbers, as may still be the case in some markets, and saves drivers from placing expensive calls to international numbers when getting in touch with a rider from another country.
You don’t have to use VoIP, of course — you can continue making traditional phone calls if you wish, which may be the most reliable and least expensive option at home, especially if your megabytes come at a higher price than voice minutes. I’m beyond excited about this latest addition, though.
Featured image by Oli Scarff/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees