This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While Verizon’s been my go-to for talk, text and data in the US, I’ve long been a fan of Google’s Project Fi for international travel, letting me add a data-only SIM to TPG‘s account to surf the web in more than 170 countries and territories for just $10 per gigabyte. The only issue is, it doesn’t support traditional phone calls, making it impossible to ring an Uber driver when things don’t go exactly as planned.
VoIP, which stands for Voice over Internet Protocol, enables voice calling over a data connection — think Skype, or Apple’s FaceTime Audio. You don’t need a SIM card with traditional calling support to use VoIP — just a decently fast data connection, a capable app and a device with a compatible microphone and speaker.
VoIP support also lets Uber users call a driver over a Wi-Fi connection, making it possible to get in touch even if you don’t have roaming support, or when you’re hoping to avoid hefty international fees when using your home SIM abroad. The new feature also entirely eliminates the need for Uber to reveal phone phone numbers, as may still be the case in some markets, and saves drivers from placing expensive calls to international numbers when getting in touch with a rider from another country.
You don’t have to use VoIP, of course — you can continue making traditional phone calls if you wish, which may be the most reliable and least expensive option at home, especially if your megabytes come at a higher price than voice minutes. I’m beyond excited about this latest addition, though.
Featured image by Oli Scarff/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees