Uber Is Testing Cheaper Fares For Passengers Who Wait Longer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber is testing a new pricing feature among some of its employees that allows passengers get a cheaper fare if they’re willing to wait a little longer for their ride to arrive.
An Uber employee in Berkeley, California, tweeted a (since deleted) screenshot that showed the test feature’s two options. “Prices are lower at 17:00,” the app’s screen read in the tweet. It also showed an option to “request now,” which was 4:56pm for a total fare of $10.18 and an option to “request at 17:00,” for a slightly cheaper fare of $8.15.
The new option to wait a little longer for a cheaper fare is currently being tested only among Uber employees based in San Francisco and Los Angeles, Uber told Quartz.
Uber’s dynamic pricing model has grown more opaque over the years, especially since it stopped alerting passengers of price surges in 2016, opting instead to give passengers an “upfront” fare quote. The ride-sharing company’s fares are calculated minute-to-minute based on several variables like traffic conditions, the availability of drivers and demand from passengers.
Uber has faced scrutiny recently due to its obfuscated pricing models — especially where its surge fares are concerned. In May, the state of Massachusetts put Uber’s operational license under review after the company charged customers surge pricing during a state of emergency declared for a nor’easter earlier in 2018. And in June, lawmakers in Honolulu approved legislation that would put a cap on the amount ride-sharing companies can charge for surge-price fares.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees