This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever dreamed of exploring Australia’s Great Barrier Reef in a submarine? A few lucky people will have their dreams fulfilled thanks to a new partnership between Uber and Tourism and Events Queensland. So, if a submarine ride is on your bucket list, you might want to book a last-minute flight to Australia.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
From May 27 until June 18, people in the Queensland towns of Gladstone, Cairns, Port Douglas or Palm Cove will be able to log in to Uber and request a scUber: the world’s first submarine rideshare. Unlike when you’re requesting a normal Uber ride, you won’t enter a destination, but you will get a round-trip ride from your departure point to the embarkation point. The submarine ride will last one hour, after which you’ll board a helicopter for a scenic return trip to the mainland.
The scUber experience will kick off on Heron Island, a coral cay near the Tropic of Capricorn, on May 27 and will move to Agincourt Reef off the coast of Port Douglas in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef region on June 9.
“In late 2018, consumer research identified that exploring the Great Barrier Reef in a submarine was the most desired future travel experience sought by visitors,” said Leanne Coddington, Tourism and Events Queensland’s CEO, in a statement.
Of course, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity doesn’t come cheap. The scUber experience costs $1,500 AUD (about $1,032) per person and must be booked for two people at a time, for a cost of $3,000 AUD (about $2,065). It’s for a good cause, though. Uber will donate the value of every scUber ride to Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef, an organization dedicated to protecting and conserving the Great Barrier Reef and other reefs around the world.
The Great Barrier Reef — the largest and longest coral reef system on earth — has been suffering from coral bleaching, but is showing signs of recovery.
“At Uber, we believe good things happen when people move — whether that’s by getting people from A to B in their city, or by making dreams come true experiencing the world’s greatest natural wonder, the Great Barrier Reef,” Susan Anderson, regional general manager for Uber in Australia and New Zealand, said in a statement.
To celebrate the launch, Queensland Tourism and Uber are holding a contest to grant the scUber experience to one lucky winner and a friend from each of the following countries: Canada, the US, France, the UK, New Zealand and Australia. To enter the competition, go to scUberQueensland.com and explain in 25 words of less why you should experience the wonder of the Great Barrier Reef with scUber.
Featured photo courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees