Uber launches moped sharing service in Paris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scoot over, bikes and cars. Tourists and Parisians alike will soon be able to make their way around the City of Light by moped via Uber‘s new partnership with Cityscoot e-mopeds.
Mopeds are to Paris what yellow cabs are to New York City — they just go together. Cityscoot has been around for a few years already and the partnership with Uber was sparked from a “mutual belief that mobility should be shared to relieve congestion in city centers and reduce the impact of transport on climate change,” according to Uber.
The addition of mopeds to Uber’s ever-growing fleet is a global first and Uber hopes that it’s another step closer to the app becoming travelers one-stop-shop for all transportation needs. This addition also makes Paris the city with most shared mobility options in the world, according to a statement from Uber.
When it comes to reserving a moped, all you have to do is go on the app like you usually would to call a car. However, instead of requesting a driver you’ll look on the map to see where one of the 4,000 Cityscoots is located, tap to reserve and then receive a pin code that you will enter once you locate the moped.
After you’ve entered the pin, it will unlock the seat compartment where drivers will find a helmet, disposable hairnets and reflective safety vests for safety. There is also a transparent, water-resistant pocket for travelers’ smartphones, so you’ll be able to safely navigate while driving.
If you’re not familiar with driving a moped, Uber has said that there will be tutoring classes for beginners available. In the case that you do fall, an alert will automatically be sent to Uber customer service. As for the price, it will cost you just $0.32 per minute — much less than an UberX and far more scenic.
I know what route I’m taking next time I’m in Paris: the Louvre, to the iconic Arc de Triomphe roundabout at sunset and then I’ll finally make my way to the glittering lights of the Eiffel Tour at night. Who’s in?
Featured photo by Vincent Bustarret (Cityscoot).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees