Uber Launches an Electric Vehicle Pilot Program in 7 Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber wants to reduce its carbon footprint by launching an Electric Vehicle Champion Initiative.
The on-demand ride-hailing service announced a year-long pilot program Tuesday that hopes to increase the number of EV rides it delivers. The seven cities participating in the program are Austin, Los Angeles, Montreal, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle. Uber hopes this program will deliver at least 5 million EV rides within the next year; the company estimates they had roughly four million across the US and Canada in 2017.
The initiative has 12 partners, including the UC Davis Institute of Transportation Studies.
To drive this project, the company is offering cash incentives to the drivers who give EV rides. For example, in San Diego and San Francisco, Uber will provide plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and battery electric vehicle (BEV) drivers with a $1.00 per trip incentive. EV charging stations will also be installed at Uber’s San Diego Greenlight Hub. Pittsburgh will have similar incentives and has a $5,000 budget to increase access to high-speed charging infrastructures in the city.
“Unless we can be delivering a more efficient form of mobility, we won’t be providing a good solution that cities need,” Adam Gromis, Uber’s head of sustainability, told the LA Times. “That’s why we’ve gone into bikes. That’s why we’re working with transit. That’s why we’re focused on electrification.”
Featured image by @Vruln via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees