This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber wants to reduce its carbon footprint by launching an Electric Vehicle Champion Initiative.
The on-demand ride-hailing service announced a year-long pilot program Tuesday that hopes to increase the number of EV rides it delivers. The seven cities participating in the program are Austin, Los Angeles, Montreal, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle. Uber hopes this program will deliver at least 5 million EV rides within the next year; the company estimates they had roughly four million across the US and Canada in 2017.
The initiative has 12 partners, including the UC Davis Institute of Transportation Studies.
To drive this project, the company is offering cash incentives to the drivers who give EV rides. For example, in San Diego and San Francisco, Uber will provide plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and battery electric vehicle (BEV) drivers with a $1.00 per trip incentive. EV charging stations will also be installed at Uber’s San Diego Greenlight Hub. Pittsburgh will have similar incentives and has a $5,000 budget to increase access to high-speed charging infrastructures in the city.
“Unless we can be delivering a more efficient form of mobility, we won’t be providing a good solution that cities need,” Adam Gromis, Uber’s head of sustainability, told the LA Times. “That’s why we’ve gone into bikes. That’s why we’re working with transit. That’s why we’re focused on electrification.”
Featured image by @Vruln via Twenty20.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards