Uber Launches an Electric Vehicle Pilot Program in 7 Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber wants to reduce its carbon footprint by launching an Electric Vehicle Champion Initiative.
The on-demand ride-hailing service announced a year-long pilot program Tuesday that hopes to increase the number of EV rides it delivers. The seven cities participating in the program are Austin, Los Angeles, Montreal, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle. Uber hopes this program will deliver at least 5 million EV rides within the next year; the company estimates they had roughly four million across the US and Canada in 2017.
The initiative has 12 partners, including the UC Davis Institute of Transportation Studies.
To drive this project, the company is offering cash incentives to the drivers who give EV rides. For example, in San Diego and San Francisco, Uber will provide plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and battery electric vehicle (BEV) drivers with a $1.00 per trip incentive. EV charging stations will also be installed at Uber’s San Diego Greenlight Hub. Pittsburgh will have similar incentives and has a $5,000 budget to increase access to high-speed charging infrastructures in the city.
“Unless we can be delivering a more efficient form of mobility, we won’t be providing a good solution that cities need,” Adam Gromis, Uber’s head of sustainability, told the LA Times. “That’s why we’ve gone into bikes. That’s why we’re working with transit. That’s why we’re focused on electrification.”
Featured image by @Vruln via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.