Uber Is Bringing Its Electric Bike-Sharing Company to This European Country
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber acquired electric bike-sharing company JUMP two months ago in an effort to expand its business beyond traditional ride-share methods.
JUMP is already in four US areas, but Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi announced yesterday that the electric bikes would be coming to Germany. The service will hopefully launch in its first city, Berlin, by the end of the summer, according to Reuters.
JUMP bikes are dockless electric bikes that can be rented, and dropped off, anywhere in the city. In the US, a rental costs $2 for a 30-minute ride. Uber faces fierce competition from the wide array of other bike-sharing companies that operate throughout the European continent. Services like Obo, Limebike and Ofo already have set up shop in the German capital and have inundated the streets with more than 18,000 bikes.
The ride-hailing company plans on bringing JUMP to other European cities as well.
Uber has faced a litany of problems in Europe. A handful of countries and cities have banned them — including London, Denmark and even Germany at one point. German taxi drivers protested outside of Khosrowshahi’s announcement — holding signs that read “Uber go home.”
Bringing green, electric bikes could be a move by Uber to regain some of the trust that company has lost over the years.
“I want this to signal a deep commitment to Germany,” Khosrowshahi said. “Germany is a little bit of a signal of what the new Uber can be like… We want to work with local governments and cities to make our model work.”
Khosrowshahi also announced its electric car service UberGreen, which allows user to book an electric vehicle, would be coming to Berlin after a successful trial in Munich.
Featured image by Michele Tantussi/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees