Uber Is Donating Rides to Reunited Families Who Were Separated at the Border
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber announced Wednesday that it’s partnering with immigration advocacy group FWD.us to donate rides and warm meals through UberEATS to reunited families that had been separated at the US-Mexico border as part of President Trump’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy.
Earlier this summer, US President Donald Trump began a hotly contested policy of separating immigrant children from their parents, holding children (many being toddlers under 5) in detention centers without their families. After political pressure, Trump signed an executive order reversing his policy near the end of June.
Since the policy reversal, parents have been scrambling to reunite with their children, but the travel logistics aren’t exactly simple. A federal judge gave the Trump administration until July 26 to reunite the families, but hundreds remained separated after the deadline, CNN reported.
“We’re proud to activate Uber’s network to support the important work of FWD.us and other nonprofits to reunite families separated at the border, Uber’s Chief Operating Officer Barney Harford said in a statement on Wednesday. “We hope that by providing safe, reliable transportation and warm meals we can play a role in bringing back together families that have endured this time apart.”
The ride-sharing company had previously donated $100,000 to KIND (Kids in Need of Defense), a legal organization that helps migrant children who entered the US by themselves. In late June, Uber’s competitor Lyft had partnered with the International Rescue Committee to give free rides to refugees affected by the policy in California.
We’re proud to partner with @theIRC to help provide transportation to the refugee communities they serve in California, and a huge thank you the refugees who are part of our driver community. We #StandWithRefugees. https://t.co/swP8G7Blhi https://t.co/Y9Jz1aZYEp
— Lyft (@lyft) June 20, 2018
United Airlines also donated flights to FWD.us to help with the effort of reuniting immigrant families.
“We are incredibly grateful to Uber for joining these critical efforts to support families who were separated at the border,” FWD.us President Todd Schulte said in a statement on Wednesday. “This partnership helps provide reliable transportation and meals to recently reunited families — direct aid to vulnerable parents and children who have suffered traumatic separation at the hands of the federal government, as well as to some incredible partners supporting this work.”
Featured image by Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees