Uber Is Donating Rides to Reunited Families Who Were Separated at the Border
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber announced Wednesday that it’s partnering with immigration advocacy group FWD.us to donate rides and warm meals through UberEATS to reunited families that had been separated at the US-Mexico border as part of President Trump’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy.
Earlier this summer, US President Donald Trump began a hotly contested policy of separating immigrant children from their parents, holding children (many being toddlers under 5) in detention centers without their families. After political pressure, Trump signed an executive order reversing his policy near the end of June.
Since the policy reversal, parents have been scrambling to reunite with their children, but the travel logistics aren’t exactly simple. A federal judge gave the Trump administration until July 26 to reunite the families, but hundreds remained separated after the deadline, CNN reported.
“We’re proud to activate Uber’s network to support the important work of FWD.us and other nonprofits to reunite families separated at the border, Uber’s Chief Operating Officer Barney Harford said in a statement on Wednesday. “We hope that by providing safe, reliable transportation and warm meals we can play a role in bringing back together families that have endured this time apart.”
The ride-sharing company had previously donated $100,000 to KIND (Kids in Need of Defense), a legal organization that helps migrant children who entered the US by themselves. In late June, Uber’s competitor Lyft had partnered with the International Rescue Committee to give free rides to refugees affected by the policy in California.
We’re proud to partner with @theIRC to help provide transportation to the refugee communities they serve in California, and a huge thank you the refugees who are part of our driver community. We #StandWithRefugees. https://t.co/swP8G7Blhi https://t.co/Y9Jz1aZYEp
— Lyft (@lyft) June 20, 2018
United Airlines also donated flights to FWD.us to help with the effort of reuniting immigrant families.
“We are incredibly grateful to Uber for joining these critical efforts to support families who were separated at the border,” FWD.us President Todd Schulte said in a statement on Wednesday. “This partnership helps provide reliable transportation and meals to recently reunited families — direct aid to vulnerable parents and children who have suffered traumatic separation at the hands of the federal government, as well as to some incredible partners supporting this work.”
Featured image by Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.