Uber App Tells Driver to Drive Down Flight of Stairs — And He Did
In today’s news of things that will make you say, “wait, what?” — an Uber driver, allegedly one with an actual, real-life license, decided it was a grand old idea to drive down some stairs in San Francisco. Thankfully, though, no injuries were reported.
We’ve all made some questionable driving decisions at one point or another, but this one really takes the cake. Can you imagine going for a stroll in the Castro — or just picking up some food at Safeway, where it all went down (pun intended) — and next thing you know, there’s a car. On. The. Stairs.
The driver, we’ll call him Fred, according to Business Insider, said he was using the Uber map at the time of the accident, and that it instructed him to go down the stairs. Spoiler alert: Things did not work out well.
He ended up getting stuck at about 1:23pm local time and wasn’t removed until 3pm. Why did it take so long, you ask? Well, a tow truck tried to move the car via a cable, but the cable snapped… and proceeded to send the car straight into a public trash can, which promptly knocked it off its screws. And you thought you had a rough day at work.
In related news, Fred — who has driven with Uber for less than a year — refuses to drive in the area again. He also thinks Safeway needs to make changes to its parking lot.
The real kicker, though? This wasn’t even the first time this has happened. A taxi driver ended up in the same situation back in 2014.
Something tells me the two passengers in the back didn’t give Fred a five-star rating.
(Photo by @Vruln via Twenty20)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees