This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In today’s news of things that will make you say, “wait, what?” — an Uber driver, allegedly one with an actual, real-life license, decided it was a grand old idea to drive down some stairs in San Francisco. Thankfully, though, no injuries were reported.
We’ve all made some questionable driving decisions at one point or another, but this one really takes the cake. Can you imagine going for a stroll in the Castro — or just picking up some food at Safeway, where it all went down (pun intended) — and next thing you know, there’s a car. On. The. Stairs.
The driver, we’ll call him Fred, according to Business Insider, said he was using the Uber map at the time of the accident, and that it instructed him to go down the stairs. Spoiler alert: Things did not work out well.
He ended up getting stuck at about 1:23pm local time and wasn’t removed until 3pm. Why did it take so long, you ask? Well, a tow truck tried to move the car via a cable, but the cable snapped… and proceeded to send the car straight into a public trash can, which promptly knocked it off its screws. And you thought you had a rough day at work.
In related news, Fred — who has driven with Uber for less than a year — refuses to drive in the area again. He also thinks Safeway needs to make changes to its parking lot.
The real kicker, though? This wasn’t even the first time this has happened. A taxi driver ended up in the same situation back in 2014.
Something tells me the two passengers in the back didn’t give Fred a five-star rating.
(Photo by @Vruln via Twenty20)
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees