Uber and Lyft Have a New Competitor, BMW
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber and Lyft have a new competitor, and it’s not just another Silicon Valley based startup. ReachNow, BMW’s car-sharing service is launching a ride-hailing service of its own.
For those unfamiliar with ReachNow, it offers short-term rentals of BMW and Mini Cooper vehicles, à la Zip Car or Car2go (which plans to merge with ReachNow). Now when users open up the ReachNow app, there’s a “Ride” option where you can hail a car to pick you up and take you wherever you need. Seattle is the only city where you’ll see this feature, but it’s possible it will expand to the other cities where ReachNow operates, Portland and Brooklyn.
ReachNow will differentiate itself by offering a handful of perks like the ability to pre-request the temperature inside your ride, the music selection (or lack thereof), use of phone chargers and free Voss water and candy.
Unfortunately there’s no such thing as a free lunch — rides are pricier than competitors Uber and Lyft but on par with higher-end options like Uber Black or Lyft Lux. Trips will costs $2.40 a mile plus 40 cents per minute, in addition to a base charge. However, ReachNow won’t participate in surge-pricing.
This differs from Uber and Lyft’s strategy of offering preset prices based on the estimated time, distance and demand of a route (and sometimes what it thinks you’re willing to pay).
ReachNow drivers are using cars owned by the company, not their own personal vehicles so they’ll save on maintenance, gas and insurance costs. They’re also paid hourly instead of being compensated per ride. They’ll take home $14.25 an hour and full benefits are offered to eligible drivers — they’ll even receive a five percent bonus if their average rating stays above 4.8 stars.
H/T: The Seattle Times
Featured image courtesy of ReachNow.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees