Two US Tourists Killed in Freak Horse-Carriage Accident in Ireland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Arizona couple was killed following a tragic horse-carriage accident on Monday while on vacation in Killarney, Ireland.
According to local reports, 64-year old Rosalyn Few and 62-year-old Normand Larose from Phoenix, Arizona, were on a carriage ride through Gap of Dunloe in Country Kerry when their carriage fell over a cliff. The carriage reportedly overturned and threw the couple into a rocky ravine about 20 feet deep. The couple was pronounced dead on the scene.
The couple’s family, Few’s daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren, were riding down the Gap of Dunloe in a separate carriage when they came upon the scene shortly after.
The man who was driving the carriage survived the accident and escaped with no injuries, according to the report. The horse trekking the carriage was badly injured from the fall and was later euthanized.
Killarney’s Chamber of Commerce and Tourism expressed its sympathies to the couple’s family.
Chamber President Paul O’Neill said: “The Gap of Dunloe is one of Ireland’s most popular tourist destinations, a place that brings joy to tourists the world over, and we are devastated that a visit to it by this couple would end in such tragic circumstances.”
The carriage drivers, also known as pony-and-trap drivers of the Killarney, Co Kerry area, suspended services on Tuesday to hold a prayer service and honor the family.
Featured image by youngoggo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees