Another Day, Another Airline Fender-Bender
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thursday, an Aer Lingus plane scraped against a pole in San Francisco. Two weeks ago, an Asiana A330 tore the tail off a Turkish Airlines A321 in Istanbul. Earlier this month, a truck slammed into a Southwest plane in Baltimore. Last month, we learned how two Qantas jets nearly collided on a runway in Perth. In March, two aircraft hit one another in Tel Aviv.
And on Friday, the slew of plane collisions continued. A Ryanair jet was “stationary at the designated holding point on the taxiway” preparing for departure from London’s Stansted Airport (STN) when a Primera Air aircraft clipped the tail of the Ryanair aircraft. Airport fire crews scrambled to the site of the incident, but no injuries or fire were reported from the incident.
Note: both aircraft were on the taxiway; neither was on the runway when the collision occurred.
The Primera Air flight was #2871 from London Stansted to Malaga (AGP) and the Ryanair aircraft was operating flight 205 from London Stansted to Dublin (DUB). Both aircraft involved in the incident are Boeing 737-800s. Stansted Airport noted in a statement that “airfield operations were briefly suspended, but all flights have now resumed.”
One notable aspect of this story is that many of the Ryanair passengers were traveling back to Ireland to cast a vote in Friday’s abortion referendum. Would-be voters needed to arrive back in Ireland before voting closes at 10pm local time. One passenger even took to social media to claim that Ryanair was “trying to obstruct this referendum.” But, Ryanair came through with a replacement 737-800 that operated flight 205, landing in Dublin at 1:36pm.
Meanwhile, Primera Air passengers are having to wait out an 18-hour delay for a replacement aircraft to make its way to Stansted. This aircraft swap is also going to cause an 8-hour delay of a Primera Air flight from Stansted to Alicante (ALC).
— Patrick Wells (@PJBWells) May 25, 2018
If you’re curious about what happens to these planes after these incidents, we were too. So, we looked into it and found some fascinating stories.
Featured image courtesy of osheapeter via Instagram.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees