Two Children Were Bitten by Sharks at Fire Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Wednesday, two different shark attacks occurred just 15 minutes and four miles apart on the beaches of Fire Island. One victim was a 13-year-old boy and the other was a 12-year-old girl. Both are expected to fully recover, but now an investigation has been opened on the occurrences.
The 13-year-old was boogie-boarding off of Atlantique beach when the shark bit him, while the girl was standing in the waters of Sailor’s Haven beach. Both suffered deep cuts into their flesh, and the boy even had to have a shark tooth recovered from his leg.
The young girl, Lola, described her experience to reporters as “a quick kind of pull” and handled the situation like a trooper. “The water was cold, so I didn’t really feel anything,” she recalled. “And then I saw something like next to me, and I kind of felt pain. And I looked and I saw, like, a fin, kind of. I don’t know how to describe it.”
Experts believe that both were juvenile sand or tiger sharks. It’s suspected that the sharks mistook the children for fish. The scenario lines up with the description that Senior Biologist in Ichthyology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, George Burges, provides for an unprovoked, “hit-and-run” attack.
It’s important to keep in mind that any type of shark attack is rare. In fact, people are more likely to die from falling in a sand hole or from sun/heat exposure than from a shark attack, according to The International Shark Attack file. So, beach-goers might just be safer in the water.
However, there are ways to combat the unsettling possibility of being attacked by a shark. We spoke to Caitlyn Cohen, former marine biology lab technician to find out what to be wary of. First off, avoid wearing anything shiny, including jewelry, because they can be mistaken for “shiny fish scales.” Stay out of the water if you are bleeding and avoid swimming close to dawn or dusk, as those are feeding times for sharks. Beach-goers should also be sure to stay away from fishing areas, as well.
Featured image by Reinhard Dirscherl/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees