Turkish Airlines returns to Newark Liberty
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance carrier will offer daily seasonal service between its Istanbul (IST) hub and Newark (EWR) beginning in May, Turkish said on its website. The route will be flown with an Airbus A330-300 from May 25 through Oct. 24. The service returns Turkish to Newark for the first time since 1994, according to Routes Online.
Turkish’s new Newark service will be in addition to its thrice-daily service between Istanbul and JFK, according to Cirium schedule data. The JFK flights are operated by a combination of A330-300 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.
Turkish codeshares with fellow Star Alliance member United Airlines on select U.S. domestic routes, Cirium schedules show. However, the partnership does not cover any routes from Newark.
While Turkish has been known to be quite generous with award availability on its U.S. flights, we’re not seeing a single award seat for next year on this new operation — though the flight is available for purchase. It could be that award inventory will be loaded in the days or weeks to come, and if so, you’d need the following number of miles to book from popular Star Alliance award programs (all award rates one-way):
- United MileagePlus: 30,000 miles in economy, 70,000 miles in business class
- Air Canada’s Aeroplan: 37,500 miles in economy, 57,500 miles in business class
- Avianca LifeMiles: 49,000 miles in economy, 63,000 miles in business class
You could also book through ANA Mileage Club — a 1:1 transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards — though you can only book round-trip itineraries through this program, and you’d need to pay ~$500 in fuel surcharges, an added cost that isn’t a factor with the other three programs.
Newark will be Turkish’s 10th destination in the U.S., and its first new market since landing in Atlanta (ATL) in 2016.
No other carriers fly between any of the New York-area airports and Istanbul.
Featured image by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.