This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Turkish Airlines crew was attacked as they were returning from dinner in central Johannesburg. According to a report, the armed thieves managed to stop the shared van the crew members were taking back to their hotel on Jan 13. The robbers reportedly held the crew at gunpoint while demanding wallets, jewelry and mobile phones.
The Turkish Ambassador Elif Çomoğlu Ülgen told eNCA.com “The crew members were extremely traumatized by the experience. They have travelled back to Turkey.”
The U.S. State Department currently has a travel advisory — Level 2 — issued for South Africa. The State Department advisory says “Exercise increased caution in South Africa due to crime, civil unrest, and drought. Violent crime, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and “smash-and-grab” attacks on vehicles, is common. There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.”
If you’re headed to South Africa, be sure to review any additional travel advisories before your trip and take extra precautions while you are there.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured image by Turkish Airlines.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees