TSA Says It’s Ready for a Record Number of July Fourth Travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re flying for the Fourth of July holiday, you’ll have plenty of company.
The TSA said it expects to screen a record number of travelers during the holiday period, which begins Wednesday and runs through Sunday. About 12.1 million passengers are expected during that time, the agency said. Sunday is expected to be the busiest day.
TSA chief David Pekoske told The Associated Press that the agency is ready for the crush, saying checkpoint wait times should see only a slight increase during the holiday.
This year’s Independence Day holiday comes as the TSA faces a strain on staffing issues, according to the AP report.
Pekoske told AP that TSA is struggling with turnover, losing about a one-fifth of its screeners each year. That forces the agency to divert time and money into hiring and training new workers.
Pekoske said that “is not good for security either, because we are constantly bringing in new people and having to train them up, so the experience level at certain airports will get rather young.”
One of the problems, according to Pekoske, is pay that’s too low to retain workers in expensive markets.
This year the TSA also is dealing with the diversion of about 350 workers who have been called to the U.S.-Mexico border.
Pekoske said the agency can manage that for now, adding: “We don’t anticipate this would be a long-term measure.”
More broadly, late spring and summer are typically the busiest times of year for air travel. Thanksgiving tends to get a lot of the media attention, but eight of the TSA’s busiest travel days have come in May and June.
This summer, TSA projects that 263 million passengers and crew members will pass through its US checkpoints between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend.
Top 10 busiest days in TSA history
|Rank||Date||Total passengers and crew members screened|
|1||Friday, May 24, 2019||2,792,670|
|2||Friday, June 21, 2019||2,772,898|
|3||Sunday, November 25, 2018||2,730,081|
|4||Thursday, June 20, 2019||2,728,786|
|5||Friday, June 14, 2019||2,727,849|
|6||Sunday, November 28, 2004||2,713,864|
|7||Monday, June 17, 2019||2,699,561|
|8||Sunday, June 23, 2019||2,678,089|
|9||Friday, July 20, 2018||2,676,487|
|10||Friday, June 29, 2018||2,676,198|
Featured image by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.