TSA Says It’s Ready for a Record Number of July Fourth Travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re flying for the Fourth of July holiday, you’ll have plenty of company.
The TSA said it expects to screen a record number of travelers during the holiday period, which begins Wednesday and runs through Sunday. About 12.1 million passengers are expected during that time, the agency said. Sunday is expected to be the busiest day.
TSA chief David Pekoske told The Associated Press that the agency is ready for the crush, saying checkpoint wait times should see only a slight increase during the holiday.
This year’s Independence Day holiday comes as the TSA faces a strain on staffing issues, according to the AP report.
Pekoske told AP that TSA is struggling with turnover, losing about a one-fifth of its screeners each year. That forces the agency to divert time and money into hiring and training new workers.
Pekoske said that “is not good for security either, because we are constantly bringing in new people and having to train them up, so the experience level at certain airports will get rather young.”
One of the problems, according to Pekoske, is pay that’s too low to retain workers in expensive markets.
This year the TSA also is dealing with the diversion of about 350 workers who have been called to the U.S.-Mexico border.
Pekoske said the agency can manage that for now, adding: “We don’t anticipate this would be a long-term measure.”
More broadly, late spring and summer are typically the busiest times of year for air travel. Thanksgiving tends to get a lot of the media attention, but eight of the TSA’s busiest travel days have come in May and June.
This summer, TSA projects that 263 million passengers and crew members will pass through its US checkpoints between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend.
Top 10 busiest days in TSA history
|Rank||Date||Total passengers and crew members screened|
|1||Friday, May 24, 2019||2,792,670|
|2||Friday, June 21, 2019||2,772,898|
|3||Sunday, November 25, 2018||2,730,081|
|4||Thursday, June 20, 2019||2,728,786|
|5||Friday, June 14, 2019||2,727,849|
|6||Sunday, November 28, 2004||2,713,864|
|7||Monday, June 17, 2019||2,699,561|
|8||Sunday, June 23, 2019||2,678,089|
|9||Friday, July 20, 2018||2,676,487|
|10||Friday, June 29, 2018||2,676,198|
Featured image by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees