This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The summer travel season officially came to end after a Labor Day Weekend, and the Transportation Security Administration marked 2018 as the busiest summer yet. With a record-breaking number of people flying over Memorial Day Weekend, Independence Day and Labor Day Weekend, TSA experienced nine of the top 10 busiest weeks in its history and screened more than a quarter of a billion travelers this summer.
TSA expected this, though, and hired an extra 1,600 officers in May to accommodate the large masses of travelers. The agency screened 253 million passengers and crew members between the Wednesday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Labor Day. That’s nearly 6% more than this time in 2017. Additionally, TSA screened roughly 165 million pieces of checked luggage.
Delta alone flew nearly 60 million passengers and also experienced nine of the airline’s top 10 busiest days. The airline also flew on average 80 more peak-day departures.
TSA has also been testing new technologies like computed tomography scanners to speed up security lines and have a more extensive look inside baggage. With technology like this and an increase in officers, 97% of passenger waited less than 20 minutes in standard security lines, and 94% of TSA Pre-Check lane passengers waited less than five minutes.
“TSA officers, using enhanced procedures, better technology and added assistance from airline and airport partners, ensured that travelers got to their destinations safe and secure,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a statement. “We were able to effectively and efficiently screen more than 2.6 million passengers on many of these days, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our entire team and the support of the industry.”
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees