This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The summer travel season officially came to end after a Labor Day Weekend, and the Transportation Security Administration marked 2018 as the busiest summer yet. With a record-breaking number of people flying over Memorial Day Weekend, Independence Day and Labor Day Weekend, TSA experienced nine of the top 10 busiest weeks in its history and screened more than a quarter of a billion travelers this summer.
TSA expected this, though, and hired an extra 1,600 officers in May to accommodate the large masses of travelers. The agency screened 253 million passengers and crew members between the Wednesday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Labor Day. That’s nearly 6% more than this time in 2017. Additionally, TSA screened roughly 165 million pieces of checked luggage.
Delta alone flew nearly 60 million passengers and also experienced nine of the airline’s top 10 busiest days. The airline also flew on average 80 more peak-day departures.
TSA has also been testing new technologies like computed tomography scanners to speed up security lines and have a more extensive look inside baggage. With technology like this and an increase in officers, 97% of passenger waited less than 20 minutes in standard security lines, and 94% of TSA Pre-Check lane passengers waited less than five minutes.
“TSA officers, using enhanced procedures, better technology and added assistance from airline and airport partners, ensured that travelers got to their destinations safe and secure,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a statement. “We were able to effectively and efficiently screen more than 2.6 million passengers on many of these days, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our entire team and the support of the industry.”
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees