TSA Marks Summer 2018 as Its Busiest Travel Season Yet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The summer travel season officially came to end after a Labor Day Weekend, and the Transportation Security Administration marked 2018 as the busiest summer yet. With a record-breaking number of people flying over Memorial Day Weekend, Independence Day and Labor Day Weekend, TSA experienced nine of the top 10 busiest weeks in its history and screened more than a quarter of a billion travelers this summer.
TSA expected this, though, and hired an extra 1,600 officers in May to accommodate the large masses of travelers. The agency screened 253 million passengers and crew members between the Wednesday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Labor Day. That’s nearly 6% more than this time in 2017. Additionally, TSA screened roughly 165 million pieces of checked luggage.
Delta alone flew nearly 60 million passengers and also experienced nine of the airline’s top 10 busiest days. The airline also flew on average 80 more peak-day departures.
TSA has also been testing new technologies like computed tomography scanners to speed up security lines and have a more extensive look inside baggage. With technology like this and an increase in officers, 97% of passenger waited less than 20 minutes in standard security lines, and 94% of TSA Pre-Check lane passengers waited less than five minutes.
“TSA officers, using enhanced procedures, better technology and added assistance from airline and airport partners, ensured that travelers got to their destinations safe and secure,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a statement. “We were able to effectively and efficiently screen more than 2.6 million passengers on many of these days, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our entire team and the support of the industry.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees