TSA Caught an American Airlines Employee With a Stolen Gun
An arrest was made at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) when an American Airlines employee tried to bring a gun through security – a stolen gun, at that.
Elvira Thomas, 62, who worked at the American ticket counter at CLT has now been charged with a felony and a misdemeanor for the possession of a stolen firearm and the possession of a firearm on city property. Transportation Security Administration spotted the gun through the checkpoint’s X-ray machine.
Thomas was not on duty when the incident occurred, but according to American, she is on administrative leave while the case is being investigated. American also told Fox News that all employees go through a background check process before hiring.
In a statement, an American Airlines spokesperson said, “At American Airlines, we have an unwavering commitment to the safety and security of our customers and team members. We take this matter very seriously and are cooperating with law enforcement during their investigation.”
Travelers are not allowed to bring a gun — or anything on that even remotely looks like a gun — so as to not scare other passengers, even if the item is harmless. Passengers who attempt to bring a gun through the security checkpoint, even if it’s unloaded, face criminal charges and a potential civil penalty of up to $13,000.
However, TSA catches more actual firearms than you may think. In its most recent report from the week of June 18 – 24, TSA discovered a whopping 92 firearms in carryons in that seven-day stretch alone. And of the 92 weapons, 80 were loaded and 29 had a round chambered.
H/T: NY Post
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees